Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a rumour that Mercedes might end production of this roadster! :crying: Has anyone else heard of this happening?
Mike
SLC300

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,379 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,255 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Yes, it’s very likely that there won’t be an SLC after 2020. Or if there is it will be a small, soft-top, roadster built with another European car manufacturer eg. Renault.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Yes, it’s very likely that there won’t be an SLC after 2020. Or if there is it will be a small, soft-top, roadster built with another European car manufacturer eg. Renault.
Oh Wow ! I can't wait to buy a convertible that has any elements of Renault in it. Witness the awful existing folding roof efforts ditto Peugeot.
The existing Boxster & certainly the new BMW Z5 is likely to be an act that Mercedes will have no hope of emulating so best they call it a day small sports car-wise.
No doubt the last stocks of SLC's will be heavily discounted - some hope.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Oh Wow ! I can't wait to buy a convertible that has any elements of Renault in it. Witness the awful existing folding roof efforts ditto Peugeot.
The existing Boxster & certainly the new BMW Z5 is likely to be an act that Mercedes will have no hope of emulating so best they call it a day small sports car-wise.
No doubt the last stocks of SLC's will be heavily discounted - some hope.
eg means “for example”. Renault is Nissan and Renault/Nissan and Mercedes have now collaborated on 4 light commercial vehicles and the Renault Twingo and the Smart 4/4 are the same car built in the same factory (Renault) so Renault would seem to be a likely partner if Mercedes Benz did want to collaborate on a niche model.

ALL the mechanical folding roof cars on the market were engineered by the same company - Karmann GMBH. They are the go-to people for any convertible conversion and they do Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Nissan, Renault, Peugeot, Maclaren - absolutely everybody. So the engineering won’t be an issue because Karmann will be the ones doing it.

It’s still incredible to me that people see a brand and think it’s good or bad based on marketing nonsense. You only have to look at the cardboard boot separator in the SLK/SLC to know that the SLK/SLC isn’t a high-value vehicle.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
509 Posts
Thank you Mercedes for making my SLK a classic, please proceed. The general populous has little knowledge of what the SLK 55 AMG is, as was the case with the original two seater Shelby Cobra people didn't really catch on until after they were gone, Mercedes proposed elimination of the V8 is a Godsend to anyone that owns one and if the hardtop convertible is done away with up, up, up goes the value of all SLKs, just watch Wheeler Dealers and see what people are willing to pay for discontinued rare vehicles. :grin:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The demise of the SLK/SLC

On becoming an owner of my SLC I have been disappointed in the lack of exposure Mercedes gives to this model. Haven’t seen it displayed at any of the car shows. No advertising as far as I can tell which leads me to believe Mercedes has washed their hands on the model. It is too bad as it seems so many other car brands are designing or redesigning their current models for a market that they deem as viable.
I think we all own a very attractive car that still draws attention wherever we go.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
On becoming an owner of my SLC I have been disappointed in the lack of exposure Mercedes gives to this model. Haven’t seen it displayed at any of the car shows. No advertising as far as I can tell which leads me to believe Mercedes has washed their hands on the model. It is too bad as it seems so many other car brands are designing or redesigning their current models for a market that they deem as viable.
I think we all own a very attractive car that still draws attention wherever we go.
I agree completely. I don’t know about Canada, in the UK, Mercedes have saddled the SLC with a ludicrously high list price that immediately attracts 25% discounts and that destroys the residuals so for a private buyer it’s a crap buy.

And in the UK at the moment the business buyers who would have bought the diesel, can’t, because Mercedes have delisted it.

So who will buy an SLC? Not many people. And that’s a shame because you’re right. It’s a gorgeous car that I love deeply. I am despairing of Mercedes Benz though because they’re not helping customers buy them.

·
Registered No SLK anymore
253 Posts
On becoming an owner of my SLC I have been disappointed in the lack of exposure Mercedes gives to this model. Haven’t seen it displayed at any of the car shows. ...
At the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance today, Mercedes had all of their AMG models prominently on display including the new G and the SLC43 (all in flat paint, yuk). The SLC was likely half the price of the next cheapest one there.

·
Banned
974 Posts
ALL the mechanical folding roof cars on the market were engineered by the same company - Karmann GMBH. They are the go-to people for any convertible conversion and they do Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Nissan, Renault, Peugeot, Maclaren - absolutely everybody. So the engineering won’t be an issue because Karmann will be the ones doing it.

Fair point as not aware of that.

It’s still incredible to me that people see a brand and think it’s good or bad based on marketing nonsense. You only have to look at the cardboard boot separator in the SLK/SLC to know that the SLK/SLC isn’t a high-value vehicle.
Never been swayed by the ******** brand snobbery associated with Mercedes. A Ghia Focus once owned was just as good in regard to build quality or certainly 'perceived' build quality & tactility of controls. Traded the SLK from an Audi A3 Cabriolet which was much better built, the doors closed with a nice thunk & unlike the tacky loose heater controls etc of the SLK ALL the switches were superbly damped. I have even had to install a micro-sized piece of trim jammed in the edge of the SLK's facia to stop the dam thing squeaking. NEVER had to do that in Fords, Mazda's, Nissans, Toyota's or Vauxhalls. BUT I look forward to driving the SLK because for reasons I can't explain the experience is more of an event, the Audi a bit boring but tolerable. On reflection I should have learnt to overcome my boredom. The current A3 cabriolet now too long for my garage otherwise it would replace the SLK having enjoyed the novelty of the pseudo 2 seat sports car that is the SLK.

·
Banned
974 Posts
At the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance today, Mercedes had all of their AMG models prominently on display including the new G and the SLC43 (all in flat paint, yuk). The SLC was likely half the price of the next cheapest one there.
Were the AMG snobs incensed because the SLC 43 is not a 'proper' AMG with no dinky little engine plaque?

·
Registered No SLK anymore
253 Posts
Were the AMG snobs incensed because the SLC 43 is not a 'proper' AMG with no dinky little engine plaque?
I didn't speak with any of the AMG "snobs", but I doubt they are even aware of the lack of an engine plaque on the SLC. I expect their level of interest is proportional to the price of the car.

As an aside, I rode to a party last night in a 2018 S63...a pretty amazing car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Big shame when they stop production.

Guess it's good news for Audi, given that a TT convertible would be a viable alternative?

Unless Mercedes replace it with something else to keep SLK/C owners with the marque? Seeing as their other 2-seaters are priced far higher, I'd love to know their plan.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I didn't speak with any of the AMG "snobs", but I doubt they are even aware of the lack of an engine plaque on the SLC. I expect their level of interest is proportional to the price of the car.

As an aside, I rode to a party last night in a 2018 S63...a pretty amazing car.
In the UK even Mercedes accept the SLC 43 isn’t a “proper” AMG. If you buy an AMG in the UK you automatically get offered a place on an AMG driving experience day. Even the A45 gets it.

You don’t get that with an SLC 43 so by definition Mercedes UK have clearly made a distinction between the 63 and 45 model cars that do have engine plaques and the 43 model cars that don’t.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Big shame when they stop production.

Guess it's good news for Audi, given that a TT convertible would be a viable alternative?

Unless Mercedes replace it with something else to keep SLK/C owners with the marque? Seeing as their other 2-seaters are priced far higher, I'd love to know their plan.
Our household is divided on this one as SWMBO has the SLC 43 and I have a TTRS coupe. Bottom line is that she wouldn’t be seen dead in a “hair dresser” car....

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,379 Posts
oooooh snag!

don't search for 'hairdresser' on our forum

·
Registered
512 Posts
In the UK even Mercedes accept the SLC 43 isn’t a “proper” AMG. If you buy an AMG in the UK you automatically get offered a place on an AMG driving experience day. Even the A45 gets it.

You don’t get that with an SLC 43 so by definition Mercedes UK have clearly made a distinction between the 63 and 45 model cars that do have engine plaques and the 43 model cars that don’t.
Never got AMG experience offered when I bought brand new AMG. Maybe I should complain about it 4 years later? ;-)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Mr Banks before you comment - I used the search and ended up here, or I could have ended up in the same topic that ended in 2015, so not sure where I should post.....anyway has anyone got an update on whether or not the final decision has been made for the demise of the SLK / C, especially now that BMW has just built the new Z4? With the expected demise of the SLK/C and talk of the SL either being discontinued also, or at least having a soft top fitted and even talk of having it designed as a 2+2 to match the 911 (although with the GTC and S Class convertibles now available I see no point) where does leave the MB enthusiasts looking for a 2 seater below $100k?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts