Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These days, when a major automaker unveils an electric car it gets a lot of press. That's because electric cars are cool, special and futuristic. Someday, though, electric cars will just be cars.

But when will that happen? When will electric cars no longer be a novelty item for early adopters? When will customers be willing to consider them regardless of government incentives, just as they would a gasoline-powered car today?
We may already be closer than you think. Analysts at Bloomberg New Energy Finance have predicted that 20 years from now, more than half of new cars sold will be electric.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/18/cars/electric-car-market-sales/index.html

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
349 Posts
Self driving will impact more than means of propulsion. A fairly certain first step is that all cars will require some type of transponder, and that will end all spirited street driving. The SLK will still be fun, but it will be Disney ride fun.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,704 Posts
Self driving will impact more than means of propulsion. A fairly certain first step is that all cars will require some type of transponder, and that will end all spirited street driving. The SLK will still be fun, but it will be Disney ride fun.

Same view here. Self driving and transponder far more likely.

They push public transport (UK spending a fortune),
so electric less likely (Also, millennials less likely to drive).

But transponder? Oh, think of the revenue.

Until price, range and the ability to charge at home infrastructure sorted,
electric is a bad steer.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
517 Posts
Spent most of my life in the Northeast, where summers are relatively mild, but everywhere I lived up there, the electric companies had a difficult time keeping up with demand in the summer. Brownouts were common, blackouts less frequent but more noticeable. Here in SC, my supplier offers a discount if you let them add something to your system that throttles usage at peak hours. Can't imagine what will happen when a significant number of electric vehicles get added to the mix.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
349 Posts
The pendulum is about to swing back in the pro nuclear abundant cheap power direction. Meanwhile the electric car claim is that they will be recharged during off peak times.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
517 Posts
The pendulum is about to swing back in the pro nuclear abundant cheap power direction. Meanwhile the electric car claim is that they will be recharged during off peak times.
I suspect that all it would take is another nuclear accident anywhere in the world to swing that pendulum back the other way. Even without it, I suspect many of those in favor of it only favor it because they live in areas where they know building a nuclear plant wouldn't be feasible.

As for the "off peak", it sounds good in theory, but how many electric cars being charged will it take to turn off peak hours into the new peak hours?

Not to mention that, "peak hours" are not always daytime hours. Here in SC, where a lot of people have electric HVAC systems, midnight to 7am could very well be peak hours in the middle of winter. I know my electric bills, and those of any of my neighbors I've asked, are much higher in the winter than in the summer.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
349 Posts
Just have to hope there no emergency`s then.
The illusion is that some kind of electric power generation is harmless, but nuclear is the only practical short term solution to climate change. Plus the rest of the world isn't going to wait, economic success demands using the lowest cost power.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,704 Posts
Sorry I am late. We had a power cut last night and the car didn't charge.
Unfortunately Uber and the buses, trains etc suffered the same.
My electric bicycle only got me so far.

Nuke. I have no issue with nuke, so long as the next plant is built alongside the two houses, Parliament & Lords.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.