Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Dynavin is a reputable OEM lookalike head unit brand. When I owned an E46 BMW these guys were the go to for any head unit replacement. In fact, I would have gotten one instead of my Chinese S100 if they had it for the R171 at the time I was looking.

Actually considering getting one in the near future. Want to keep my S100 for a bit since I can screw around with it easily due to it running on WinCE... but that is nerd level stuff.

In short, I can confirm these things are legit and are quality. Great support from sales reps and they update the software often.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I too am looking at this unit, it looks good value. I have read posts about a replacement, but confess to finding it confusing when you delve in too far :laugh:

Re the 6 disc changer, I am okay with that as one of our forum guys replaced it with an external drive, which in comparison has huge capacity and is the fraction of the size, so frees up useful space. You can also take out the map DVD in the boot.

My stalling point is, as I have Harman Kardon, it appears I also need to replace the existing amp with a new 6 channel amp to drive the 11 speakers we have, and are £460.

Reactions: Beppi

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a Dynavin N6 fitted recently. I am really pleased with it. I only had the standard unit fitted, so no DAB, reversing camera etc. The integrated Parrot hands free phone feature was a must for me. I also like the TMC feature within the navigation unit. I paid £599.00 here in the UK plus an hour and a half in labour charges for installation.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK200
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a Dynavin N6 fitted recently. I am really pleased with it. I only had the standard unit fitted, so no DAB, reversing camera etc. The integrated Parrot hands free phone feature was a must for me. I also like the TMC feature within the navigation unit. I paid £599.00 here in the UK plus an hour and a half in labour charges for installation.
Alexrod, did they have to run an antenna wire to the back for the GPS or do they use the existing wire that is in the footwell? What kind of an antenna do they use, is it the one they stick on the boot? Do they just remove the old Audio 20 unit and plug in the Dynavin n6? Did they install a MOST box in yours, don't know what its for anyway, must look it up.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK200
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I too am looking at this unit, it looks good value. I have read posts about a replacement, but confess to finding it confusing when you delve in too far :laugh:

Re the 6 disc changer, I am okay with that as one of our forum guys replaced it with an external drive, which in comparison has huge capacity and is the fraction of the size, so frees up useful space. You can also take out the map DVD in the boot.

My stalling point is, as I have Harman Kardon, it appears I also need to replace the existing amp with a new 6 channel amp to drive the 11 speakers we have, and are £460.
To tell you the truth If my car had the factory fitted navigation system I would not bother changing it. At the moment I have a simple blue tooth phone receiver on the sun visor and when I need to find an address I use my cell phone which has Samsung mobile Garmin on it which I stick on the wind shield and the voice commands come through the blue tooth phone receiver. It can also be streamed through the radio. It only cost $50.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The antenna that was fitted was the item supplied with the Dynavin head unit. This has a magnetic base and was fitted behind the trim on the near side A pillar, so no external antenna which maintains the clean lines of the car. The original factory fitted head unit was swapped out for the new Dynavin system and fits perfectly. Like you I have no idea what a MOST box is.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK200
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The antenna that was fitted was the item supplied with the Dynavin head unit. This has a magnetic base and was fitted behind the trim on the near side A pillar, so no external antenna which maintains the clean lines of the car. The original factory fitted head unit was swapped out for the new Dynavin system and fits perfectly. Like you I have no idea what a MOST box is.
Just found that the MOST box is actually the MOST INTERFACE box. There is also a CAR INTERFACE box. If you look at the owners manual in the wiring diagram they are the two boxes which connect part of the wiring together with the circuit board inside the interface boxes. :grin::grin: http://www.dynavin.com/images/pdf/n6_owners_manual.pdf

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Just found out: MOST = Media Oriented Systems Transport

Reactions: Beppi

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,253 Posts
The MOST box is a box that converts the audio signal form the speakers to a digital optical signal and has an optical interface and the MOST protocol implemented (hopefully correct) so that you can attach it to the existing MOST ring that's already in your car. If it works a very nice solution if you have i.e. the HK amplifier that serves as the audio gateway and you want to keep using this.
It's of no use if you have the Audio 20 installed.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK200
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The MOST box is a box that converts the audio signal form the speakers to a digital optical signal and has an optical interface and the MOST protocol implemented (hopefully correct) so that you can attach it to the existing MOST ring that's already in your car. If it works a very nice solution if you have i.e. the HK amplifier that serves as the audio gateway and you want to keep using this.
It's of no use if you have the Audio 20 installed.
Sneaky Pete, are you saying that if the car has a Audio 20 installed then the MOST box is not necessary to install the Daynavin system? The guy who gave me the quote said I would need the MOST box which would cost an extra $200. :surprise:

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,253 Posts
Beppi,

yes that's what I'm saying. With the Audio 20 there is no seperate audio gateway, it's incorporated in the Audio 20. Read the piece about Audio 20 and MOST here .
On the MOST ring usually are a few things:
- audio gateway - not present with Audio 20
- navigation - becomse redundant with the Dynavin
- telephone interface - becomes redundant with the Dynavin
- CDC - why would you want to use that when you have the Dynavin?

Furthermore, Dynavin's website clearly states that you have to remove everything from the MOST ring with the exception of the audiogateway when you install the MOST box : Dynavin N6-MOST Adapter for Fibre-Optic Amplified Audio Systems Dynavin

Why they want to sell that box to you is a mistery to me.
Either they don't know what they are selling or they try to rip you off....

·
*Registered
2006 SLK200
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Beppi,

yes that's what I'm saying. With the Audio 20 there is no seperate audio gateway, it's incorporated in the Audio 20. Read the piece about Audio 20 and MOST here .
On the MOST ring usually are a few things:
- audio gateway - not present with Audio 20
- navigation - becomse redundant with the Dynavin
- telephone interface - becomes redundant with the Dynavin
- CDC - why would you want to use that when you have the Dynavin?

Furthermore, Dynavin's website clearly states that you have to remove everything from the MOST ring with the exception of the audiogateway when you install the MOST box : Dynavin N6-MOST Adapter for Fibre-Optic Amplified Audio Systems Dynavin

Why they want to sell that box to you is a mistery to me.
Either they don't know what they are selling or they try to rip you off....
Thanks Sneaky Pete, I will copy and paste what you said to the rep of Dynavin and see what excuse he has got in trying to rip me off. I may consider to install it if I cab get it for $600 but not $1100.
You ask why would you want to use that when you have the Dynavin, I have a lot of CDs, does the Dynavin accommodate more than one CD? I know it has the ability to copy all kinds of music on the harddrive and Aux but I would like to use my CDs.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK200
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is there anyone who has installed the Daynavin system and would like to sell their Comand system? I have the Audio 20 system and would like to know if the wiring is already installed to install the Comand system.

·
**Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
451 Posts
Replaced dead COMAND with Dynavin N6

Over the weekend, I installed a Dynavin N6 head unit to replace the dead COMAND unit in my 2006 SLK55. An autopsy on the COMAND unit revealed a drink spill as the likely cause of death. I thought it would be interesting to try using the original audio gateway/amp with the new head unit, so I also purchased their MOST converter box and wiring harness ($70). I was never able to make this combination work. Visually, the fiber ring was 'talking' but there was no sound at all from the amp. I pared the optical ring down to the point where it was only the Dynavin MOST box and the amp..... still nothing. It was as if the amp was muted. I experimented with the phone mute and wake up inputs to the amp... everything seemed right, but nothing from the speakers.

I tried the Dynavin bypass harness as a plug-n-play solution, but the harness was not wired to drive the large door speakers resulting in a tinny sound. The final solution was to completely remove the audio gateway and replace it with a 4-channel amp I picked up at Best Buy. The tweeters and mid range speakers in the doors are driven by two channels (front line level inputs) in the amp on high-pass setting and the woofers in the doors are driven by the other two channels (rear line level inputs) in the amp with a low-pass setting. Having the woofers set up as rear speakers gives some additional control in tuning the sound using the front/back fade control.... important since the input gain controls on the amp are no longer easily accessible. I used the direct speaker lines in the bypass harness to drive the "fill" speakers behind the seats and the center fill.

I ordered my unit from Dynavin USA. When I placed the initial order, the amp bypass harness was not included since I ordered the MOST adapter. An email to Trent at Dynavin had the bypass harness in my mail box within two days at no charge. Good customer service from Trent.

The Dynavin N6 platform seems fine at this point. The selling point for me was the cosmetic similarity to OEM and the CANBUS integration. I am still getting accustomed to the functionality. It's different from the Pioneer AVIC-140 I have in my SLK280... old dog, new tricks syndrome....so let's just say the jury is still out.

Horace

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,253 Posts
I pared the optical ring down to the point where it was only the Dynavin MOST box and the amp..... still nothing. It was as if the amp was muted. I experimented with the phone mute and wake up inputs to the amp... everything seemed right, but nothing from the speakers.
Stupid question and you probably did that but just to make sure, did you put an optical loopplug in place for every device you removed from the ring?

·
Registered 2005 SLK350-sold
997 Posts
... The selling point for me was the cosmetic similarity to OEM and the CANBUS integration...

Horace
That is a big issue for me, can you describe how/what all ties into the center display, and the steering wheel buttons?

Does the center display show info like
mp3 file and/or track name
  • phone number of current call
  • anything navigation wise (direction, distance to next turn...)
  • radio, station and/or RDS info?
What all can the steering wheel buttons do for phone/radio/mp3?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.