Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't actually a new thread, sorry - there a bits of it in various places over the last few years, but it's tricky choosing one to pick up on - the consensus finally pointed to the recall due to heat deformation of the holder (about 2006?). My 1998 is relatively low mileage, and has obviously only just hit the problem, but my main dealer shrugs and "doesn't recall the recall (!)" .. and presumably I'm out of it now. Does anyone know the bits I have to purchase to fix it (mine is the left one only at present), and how does one insert them ?(it's bad enough just swapping the bulbs around to prove that isn't the problem).

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,202 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. And it only takes about 30 seconds to do!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
New members and guests should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you,
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

·
Registered
246 Posts
Welcome! The dealer can 'recall' the recall on his computer. My dealer plugged in my vin and immediately told me that the repair had been done. Sounds like your dealer may be fos.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't know if this is of any assistance, but by 2000 facelift 170 left rear brakelight worked and didn't work, then causing a light to go on the instrument panel. The light bulb was fine so I took the light cover off for examination and found some sort bad connection which caused a kind of a arking or distortion on the metal (?) I then took some fine sandpaper to smooth and clean the distorted are and the brake light has worked fine since. I have no idea what caused the connection to go like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will try that , many thanks. BTW, the dealer has now 'located' the recall, but on checking my VIN says the 'repair' was carried out in 2006,:confused:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Same story here! Light socket was shot, not sure how, but it was and they told me the same thing, fixed a few years ago. But good news was the dealer fixed it for about$20, very simple just cut the holder and put a new one on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Easy fix. Open the panel, unbolt the light, pull the light out. Pull the bulb holders off and you will see its either corrosion on the metal track on the light or the bulb holder is melted. I had the same problem when I got my slk. I took sand paper and cleaned the metal and cleaned all the contacts on the bulb. Took me about 15 mins to do total. Works fine. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Will try that , many thanks. BTW, the dealer has now 'located' the recall, but on checking my VIN says the 'repair' was carried out in 2006,:confused:
Sounds like mine....My repair was also carried out in 2006, but I had trouble with it again in 2011. Dealer wouldn't do anything about it, so I did what others are suggesting and just cleaned up and bent out the contacts a little bit - been good since.
I also go lucky and found a brand new set of lights with sockets and all for $35, so I've got them stashed away should I run into anymore issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to new replies - especially nfocus one - have now dismantled the whole thing - brake bulb holder had really cooked itself into the frame, with result that part of the metal track had sunk about 2-3mm into the melted frame below. Scraped/cut away all the damage, built up the damaged frame with a tiny bit of matchstick in resin so that the metal track was again in contact with the bulb holder (whose contacts needed cleaning and lifting ) and bingo - all OK again. Took a bit more than 15mins, though!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glad I could help. My framing wasn't warped in any way. It just corroded and melted the socket a little. I have did a tiny workaround on my PSE which was corroded like most others have. I had the dome always on and alarm triggered for no reason. Slightly fixed that. Next project is resoldering the k40 when I get back home. Glad my toys keep me busy when I'm not working.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.