Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, despite the weather I did manage to get out early this morning for a short drive with the roof down - before the weather closed in and it started drizzling again. Bright winter sun and 2 degrees outside. Who'd buy a convertible in November??? lol. No pics yet but as soon as I can, I will. Honest!

First impressions:

• It's so TINY! It hides behind my wife's Fiesta!
  • It's got Pirelli P7's all round on 16" rims. The front two are new, but the rears will need doing in 2-3,000 miles.
  • It goes quite nicely - and even better after an ECU reset! Sticking to W mode at the moment. The roads are very slippery round here!
  • It needs a service - that spanner is followed by -5900!. That's booked for next weekend.
  • It's got history - mostly full Mercedes - including a full fluids/hoses/pipes check/replacement five years ago
  • It's had a full respray in Dec-14 to deal with the rust.
  • New roof pump this year.
  • A bluetooth head unit has been fitted (but I may change that - I want the USB & Aux out of the back of the unit, not the front, so a Pioneer DEH-4600BT may be up for grabs soon)

Only two things I don't like (after comparing it with the BMW):

• No automatic headlights? What's that all about? I may need to look at adding a kit to overcome this.
  • No auto-dim mirror - but these are available on the Interweb.

And the first pass of things I'm going to do to it:

• Gummi Fledge the seals (although I read that this is now cosidered carcenogenic? Apparently Krytox is the New Gumme Fledge?)
  • I've got a drinks holder rather than a storage tray, so if anyone wants to swap, please let me know. I want to add a stand & power for my phone or a small tablet.
  • The 12V accessory supply is in the wrong place so I'll need to add 12V or USB cables in the dash for the tablet/phone
  • The central storage bin between the seats rattles. That will need furkling to fix it
  • The speakers aren't bad - but they're going to be swapped out and I'll add subs behind the seats.
I may get the first official trip out of it tomorrow - unless I need to be a taxi. No. Wait a minute. I don't need to be a taxi! I'm going with SWMBO so she can ride with me and the car will be FULL! heh heh heh...

Drive safe.

Martin

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts

·
*Premium Member
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: jbanks15

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
679 Posts
Not to be a parade rainer but I'd be a little suspicious of a complete paint job on your car. I bought an 03 a few years back that had 120 on it. It had lived it's life in Minnesota and driven in the winter at times. This is a tough place on cars due to amount of salt they use on the roads. I had a few bubbles in the rear wheel wells which were easily repaired but the rest of the finish was really quite good. I'd suggest taking the car to a body repair shop and have them inspect it for possible accident history. Hopefully you'll find none but it would be better to find out now before you start putting money into the car.

·
*Premium Member
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the warning, but I'm already suspicious... The car comes up clean on UK car history checks which include accident and insurance write-off checks. The garage doing the service next week will also check for damage/repairs as a pre-cursor to the service. Another reason for buying the car knowing it needs a service is to make sure the service is done properly, too.

I've got to build my own confidence in the car, not take the word of the seller..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not to be a parade rainer but I'd be a little suspicious of a complete paint job on your car. I bought an 03 a few years back that had 120 on it. It had lived it's life in Minnesota and driven in the winter at times. This is a tough place on cars due to amount of salt they use on the roads. I had a few bubbles in the rear wheel wells which were easily repaired but the rest of the finish was really quite good. I'd suggest taking the car to a body repair shop and have them inspect it for possible accident history. Hopefully you'll find none but it would be better to find out now before you start putting money into the car.
I think we must use stronger salt over here! You are very unlikely to find a UK 170 that doesn't have rusted wings where they join the front bumper unless they have been replaced. Generally the fixing bracket has also disintegrated. Add to that the other usual rust areas like rear arches and boot lock, plus all the dents and scratches that come from general use and you soon conclude that you might as well get a full respray while you're having the wings replaced. Had ours done earlier this year and it looks fantastic.

·
*Premium Member
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Savcom, I'm in the UK and would happily swap your cupholders for my empty tray ?
Many thanks, UKBaller but I think I've got a swap in hand. I'll let you know if I can swap with you....

Cheers!

Martin

Reactions: Ukballer14

·
*Premium Member
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had my wings off earlier this year to remove surface rust, both sides of the car had to be resprayed to get a good match with the doors
I do hope your car is back together now and looking sharp!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.