Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered 2009 SLK350
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
December 5th 2019, It’s a beautiful day with clear skies and 68 deg F (20 deg C). My wife and I are Christmas shopping driving with the top down, it’s a gorgeous day. We’re on the outside lane of a busy three lane avenue. We stop at a red light where we’re first in line. A minute or two later the light turns green and we all start moving when I hear the SUV’s beside me honking and stopping alerting me that something is wrong. Suddenly before I can come to a complete stop, I see a blue flash come across from left to right and hear that unmistakable sound, CRUNCH. My eyes follow the blue flash and see a pickup truck skid 180 deg. then hit a curb about 70 feet away almost rolling over. When it finally lands it’s got its two left wheels on the sidewalk, fortunately no one was there, or it could have been very bad for them. I take quick inventory of what just happened, no air bags deployed, wife’s ok, I’m ok, car still running and no error messages on the dash. I pull over getting out of the way of the busy traffic and go to check on the other person, “I was trying to beat the light” are his first words as he steps out of his truck with a look of shock and embarrassment. I call the local police, statements are taken, and insurance information are exchanged. I’m able to drive back home looking like I just left a bar fight. He on the other hand must call a tow truck. His left rear tire has peeled off the rim and who know what else, I don’t care. My emotions are across the spectrum, Mad, Sad, in Shock, Thankful my Wife is ok, Depressed, and did mention MAD, Yes MAD!!

After going back and forth with his insurance for a month, they finally accept full responsibility. I finally take my car to the dealership body shop on the 7th of this month. Replace hood/bonnet, grill, bumper with all its internal energy absorbing parts and the metal cross-member behind the grill.

Just got a message from the shop telling me it should be going to paint today, so I should be getting her back by the end of this month. Can’t wait!

4.jpg

·
Registered 2009 SLK350
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have cameras on lights at some junctions here now to deter 'trying to beat the light'.
We had cameras here in Texas but were out law'd late last year. Some municipalities were taking advantage and mailing people tickets, "Guilty without due process".

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,156 Posts
Wow! Glad u r ok!
and you did not tell all this before now?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,156 Posts
Well don't give up on the 55

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,078 Posts
Thank goodness you both are OK.
So he was trying to beat the light...look where that got him.

·
Registered 2009 SLK350
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After 2.5 months and returning the car back to the dealership body shop for some paint imperfections (fish-eyes) on the hood/bonnet I finally got my car back and looking like new again. Now I know how owners that hibernate their cars for the winter feel like. I missed her.

Before
During
After

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
11,936 Posts
Appearances are important BUT to me, perfect driveability after the repair is primary.

Looks good 👍 Now, how does she handle hi-speed frolicking?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts