Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thank You! NEW PICS ADDED!!

:)Hi all I'm new to this forum and would just like to say thank you for all the you tube clips you have posted re xpipe custom or trader. I had my AMG 55 delivered on Thursday and run it straight down to my local custom exhaust man. It's spent 2 hours on the ramp today and cost me £80.00 and the sound is just music to my ears! On idle and low revs there is absolutely no difference, but step on the pedal and just sit back and enjoy! The whole crew at the exhaust place stood outside waiting for me to gun it back down the opposite carriageway!!!! I have taken start to finish pictures to help those that are still undecided which route to take and when I can figure out how to post them I will put them up. The xpipe that's fitted to my car is gauranteed for life and is of superb quality. Thanks for all the useful YouTube posts guys
Trev

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,217 Posts
Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
New members and guests should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last.

Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome from southern California.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can't believe the price difference between London and the Midlands. I had my x pipe also done within days of ownership, but mine cost me around the 200 mark. All other quotes I had were similar money also.

Anyway, I couldn't agree more re the sound. Are you also considering removing the secondary cats?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,726 Posts
Hi TrevF

Im in the Midlands & looking to have an X-pipe fitted , If possible could you let us have the information of your fitters & where you got your Xpipe from.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi TrevF

Im in the Midlands & looking to have an X-pipe fitted , If possible could you let us have the information of your fitters & where you got your Xpipe from.

Cheers

Andy
Hi Andy, I didn't buy a seperate x pipe, the guys fitted and hand fabricated their own bespoke design on the car. They are based in Wolverhampton, are you close to there?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't believe the price difference between London and the Midlands. I had my x pipe also done within days of ownership, but mine cost me around the 200 mark. All other quotes I had were similar money also.

Anyway, I couldn't agree more re the sound. Are you also considering removing the secondary cats?
I'm not sure about removing the cats yet, i'm going to run the car for a while and see how it goes:burnout:

·
1,726 Posts
Hi TrevF

Im over in Coventry, so not that far .

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Andy,l managed to sort it out today and there is a branch in Covemtry that do the custom fit exhausts mate, send me a pm if you're still interested and I will copy the details over to you. I can also send you my pictures via text so you can show the fitter exactly what I had done at their Wolvs branch mate!

·
1,726 Posts
Hi TrevF

Sent cheers

Andy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Trev

I am also in the process of getting a 55 though I am still agonising over finalising the decision to go for it, seems a bigger step than I thought to commit to a two seater. Seems odd trading in a three year old car plus money for a six year old car? Though I think its like buying a dog not just for Christmas you have to assume its a keeper? I used to have a TVR Chimeara which I bought from new and kept for 12 years and do miss the noise and grunt?

What MPG are you expecting from her?

David

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I've come from a Nissan GTR that did around 16 to the gallon and a r8 that if pushed did as low as 4!!! So fuel economy wasn't really in the equation but at the moment it's showing a pretty solid 22mpg but it's the sound that makes it for me:)

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
124 Posts
@TrevF the car sounds awesome, got me thinking now.

Any vids/pics of the GTR? I really need this car in my life. What made you swap? #curious

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The GTR went for a few reasons, the first one being depreciation at approx 1k per month, and on the basis it was going to sit in the garage for another 3 months it had to go, the gearboxes are unbelieveably bad from a standing start, and the sound just wasn't what I expected unless you are on full throttle at which point in a GTR you can kiss goodbye to your license! Don't get me wrong, you have never experienced the turn of speed and power delivery until you have tried one, they are awsome machines, but for me the package just wasn't complete enough.
I have driven the SLK to work today, parked it on a public carpark without worrying and smiled all the way here with the sound it makes now the resonator box has gone! 2 very different cars but the SLK has already had me smiling more than the GTR:)

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
It's interesting - Adam went through the same with his GTR's - just didn't enjoy them as daily drivers, and had the same to say about having to push them to really feel anything - at which point you were over 100 and looking for trouble instantly. I think he's moved on to a Lotus now while waiting to see if he falls in love with the R172 AMG.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.