Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may sound silly but I bought one of those solar car coolers off TV for about $20.

It really keeps it nice inside!

my main concern is the Texas heat cracking my dash board and peeling of the paint as it bubbles in the heat of the car. Not sure if that would happen, but you never know! ;)

·
Founding Member
337 Posts
I know what you mean....especially with my custom interior.....argh.

I think that the big heat wave is pretty much over.......here's hoping!!!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
You should have E2 glass. It's designed to limit ultraviolets. UV is the main culprit that damages interiors and finishes. Heat is another issue, darker shades like copper is like a heat sink. The window fan will help cool the interior. Heat and non silicone based adhesives causes havoc. Hopefully, MB uses silicone (hi-temp) based adhesives.

A quality UV inhibiting white (not a shade like silver) car cover (I'll call it a thermal blanket) will reduce the temperature against the car surface to ~120 degrees F.

When you get a chance, check out the radiant heat from cars in a parking lot. Place your hand about 1/4 to 1 inch above the surface of a clean white car, then a darker color car including chrome bumpers. There is a huge radiant temperature shift. Food for thought.

Keep in mind temperature and UV are two separate issues.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
22 Posts
Other options include: getting a dash cover (I have one and it is attached by cloth covered hooks which attach in the windshield vents), also use a sun shade put in the windshield to prevent light hitting the dash (a custom one came with my car) or use the old towel over the dash and steering wheel to bolck the sun.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Folks here in Vegas tint the front windshield. You can get film that has almost no tinting, but has the UV protection.

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that is a good idea. I may look into the windshield tinting. I will still use the auto cooler to keep the heat out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Texas Heat is the worst, I live in the Southern most part of Texas and its scorching down here, the humidity doesn't help either.

Does that reflective tint work pretty well?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey tungster, just noticed your location. I moved to Florida from Rowlett 2 years ago. You wanna talk about hot, it's a steam bath most of the year here!
Andy

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Hey tungster, just noticed your location. I moved to Florida from Rowlett 2 years ago. You wanna talk about hot, it's a steam bath most of the year here!
Andy

That's why you go out for a swim nude and keep the car in covered parking.

:biglaugh:

·
Founding Member
337 Posts
Yeah.....Isn't it great????.......:D

·
Registered
208 Posts
I leave a thin layer of dust on the plastic to act as an UV shield in Summer when I have the top down alot.

Bazzle

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OHHH NOOO....no dust allowed on my car!!!!:rb

I keep it covered and washed. My wife thinks I am too nuts about it. maybe sooo...:tazz: LOL

SLKman:tu:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've been reading the forum for a while now but this is my first post here so a big hello first of all.

All this talk of heat is making me sooo jealous. Temps been around 0-6degrees for the past few months. On top of that the rain and wind has been relentless for the last couple of weeks. Not ideal driving when the good ol' English roads are in such poor condition.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome Elwood. I presume you are located in the UK?

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome Elwood.

Jan 11th and it is 72 degrees here!

Suppose to get chilly this weekend...

·
Registered
127 Posts
wish it was that warm here.

72 degrees? I hate you (JK). It's around mid 30's here in NY and I'm working on my house extension which is unheated and uninsulated. Can you send some heat this way? Only need it to be about 50 or so.

btw, SLKman, did you get me email regarding the # of copper slk's?

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow! Adding on to your house. That will add to the value!

No I did not get that SLK info.

What was it????

Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.