Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Never thought I would be interested in an SLK, but a friend was selling his 2003 SLK230, 6-speed. I had been shopping for Miata's after borrowing my brother's a few times...

While a very fun drive, I found the Miata small and spartan, not great for my daily driver. What a revelation to drive the SLK! I know you all know this, but what a fun car to drive! Power retractable hardtop is very cool, and the luxury features like heated seats etc. are a great bonus!

Looking forward to many commutes, and many weekend drives...

Anyone else compare the Miata and SLK and choose the Merc?

cheers,
Marty

·
Founding Member 2006
113,460 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
*Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Cannot compare apples against oranges. Each vehicle fits different personalities and style. It comes down to what your specifications are and how each vehicle meets those demands.

Reactions: LIL DON SLK

·
*Premium Member
2009 SLK350
22,181 Posts
Welcome from Portland, Oregon. Enjoy the forum and the top down driving. Check out the SLK NW Group under the clubs section of the forum. They/we are based out of the Seattle area. Or if closer to the Portland area check out the Beaver State SLK's by going to Tools, Quick Links, Social Groups and then Beaver State SLK's.

·
*Registered
2004 SLK200
241 Posts
I also have a manual 230. Before I had a Miata or MX5 as they are known this side of the pond. The gearbox on the Miata is far superior. I find the SLK manual box and clutch not the easiest to use. The Miata is the better drivers car. The handling is sublime and it is a much lighter car. However at high speeds and for long journeys the SLK is much better. The roof will not deafen you and your wife will be able to fit all her luggage in the trunk. The trunk on the Miata is tiny. When you drive a Miata you are aware it is a small car and perhaps more of a risk in an accident. I do miss my Miata for its handling but for longer journeys and safety the SLK is the better car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Anyone else compare the Miata and SLK and choose the Merc?

cheers,
Marty
I've never driven a Miata, but when I started looking for a car I was convinced I wanted a 3.2 V6 Audi TT. That was until I drove an SLK that happened to be for sale locally. I haven't driven another TT since!

·
*Premium Member
2009 SLK55 AMG
15,661 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
*Registered
Sold my SLK
469 Posts
I also have a manual 230. Before I had a Miata or MX5 as they are known this side of the pond. The gearbox on the Miata is far superior. I find the SLK manual box and clutch not the easiest to use. The Miata is the better drivers car. The handling is sublime and it is a much lighter car. However at high speeds and for long journeys the SLK is much better. The roof will not deafen you and your wife will be able to fit all her luggage in the trunk. The trunk on the Miata is tiny. When you drive a Miata you are aware it is a small car and perhaps more of a risk in an accident. I do miss my Miata for its handling but for longer journeys and safety the SLK is the better car.
Have you changed your clutch fluid and bled it through the clutch? My 6-speed changed so after flushing the fluid and bleeding the clutch.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
6,047 Posts
Hi and welcome from SW Florida. My husband just bought our neighbors 1995 Miata , it's in really good condition for being so old. Florida car, always garaged. It's got a standard transmission, which he liked driving. He's wanted one for a long time..I don't like Miatas, they are too small. Now we have 2 red convertibles in the garage, of course my SLK is prettier.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,540 Posts
Hi Marty, and welcome from the UK Midlands! :)

As has already been said, the Miata and SLK are very different cars... we have members here that own both! :D

In fact, it was my son buying a Miata/MX5/Eunos last year that made me think about getting my SLK in the first place... I figured if he could have a 2-seater convertible, then why couldn't I? :tu:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mx5 or Slk

Hi All,
Mr Harper is spot on the MX5 is indeed a fabulous little car, drives like a ballistic roller skate & is an all out fun totally reliable car to own.

On the other hand the Slk is a sophisticated classy comfortable cruiser, boot is ok with roof up not so with the roof down, soft top MX5 doesn't have that problem, the Slk is quieter with the roof down than the MX5 is with the roof up.

Different vehicles in a different price bracket but both a pleasure to own.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Marty,

I had a Eunos (Japanese-market Miata) before my SLK, which was an extreme comparison: the Eunos was modified for track work so had adjustable but firm suspension, bucket seats, 4-point harnesses, partial removal of sound insulation and a steering wheel about two-thirds the diameter of the one on the SLK! Needless to say the SLK is a completely different experience on the road, especially for a long distance (haven't tried it on the track yet, but I'm considering doing so on 31 Jan - Donington Park, in case any other UK drivers are interested).

The gear shift is fine on my 350 6-speed, nice and slick; not quite such a short throw as that on the Miata, but sweet all the same.

·
*Registered
2001 SLK230K
24 Posts
Greetings from New York!

I always wanted a 2 seater and was considering an mx5 with removable hard top being sold by a local mechanic. I am 6'2" and just made it in the driver's seat and the interior was really Spartan. Nice handling but would be using the car as a daily driver in NY traffic.

I saw an ad for a SLK 230 and figured as long as I was looking, why not give it a test drive. In the ad it was mis-listed as an automatic. It was really a 6 speed manual. I drove it home after the test drive. I paid twice as much for it as I would have paid for the mx5 but it is worth every penny. The drive is great. The comforts are even better and a retractable hardtop: sweet!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.