Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took my first slk350 out today for a test drive. had the 7g box, was a bit lazy on gear change, so i think i'll try for the manual.
now, feeling behind the drivers seat it was damp, and there was mold on the drivers seatbelt, telling me the roof seals were gone on that side. are these an expensive repair? hopefully the car i get wont have this, but just in case..

·
*Registered
2015 SLK250 CDI
355 Posts
took my first slk350 out today for a test drive. had the 7g box, was a bit lazy on gear change, so i think i'll try for the manual.
now, feeling behind the drivers seat it was damp, and there was mold on the drivers seatbelt, telling me the roof seals were gone on that side. are these an expensive repair? hopefully the car i get wont have this, but just in case..
How old was the car you tried was it private or a garage . Don't know what it costs to repair they can be adjusted or it might just need lubing up.
Regards
Michael.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,846 Posts
was the car warmed up? tranny is slow until it get to operating temperature 80 c

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,164 Posts
The water is pretty easy to fix if you're patient and a DIY'er. If you take it to a shop for repair it will cost a lot in labor, but it's all pretty trivial stuff - removing seats, carpet, panels, wipers, etc.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was a 2006 at a garage but not a merc garage.I told the guy it was leaking and had mold. Tranny was warm.it was very over priced so I wasn't going to buy that one anyway, I just wanted to give the 7g a go and that was the closest I could find to where I live.have seen a 2005 manual with 34k on the clock nearly 2grand less than the one I saw today.need the sale of my car to finalise first though, maybe next Friday.

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
3,633 Posts
It is a bit slow, but once you are going it's fine really for every day driving.
You can get Paddles as an easy upgrade from Gordon or Andy on SLKW. G-Paddles.
In M you can mess about changing gear on country roads etc. When you have finished just put it back into C or S and chill out:grin:

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,893 Posts
Try a 55....

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
Now, feeling behind the drivers seat it was damp, and there was mold on the drivers seatbelt, telling me the roof seals were gone on that side. are these an expensive repair? hopefully the car i get wont have this, but just in case..
It is more likely someone left the window down during a rainstorm than leaky roof or door seals. Check also, the leather seats for mold.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK55 AMG
44 Posts

From what I've read many have repaired via adjustment/stretching you could possibly do yourself rather than having to get new seals. I wouldn't worry about it, but I wouldn't buy a car that is moist when you get in! Who knows about mold, electrical problems...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
also i noticed that on the rear window, down both the short sides,the ends, on the black surround there were kind of "white rub marks" if it was a painted surface i would guess at laquer peel(but without any laquer comming off) if you know what i mean.i've seen this on pictures of cars for sale i'm looking at too.
anyone know what this is? i thought it might be sitting against something when its down and rubbing maybe?

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,893 Posts
if i could afford to run one i would....
insurance is cheap....tax can be cheap.....its just keeping that big v8 fed and serviced propperly :frown:
It's worth it. ;)

Bear in mind, no balance shaft issues to worry about on the near bullet-proof M113 and they don't really require much servicing. DIY oil and filters every once in a while, £70 all in...

The 7G is tweaked by AMG to shift more quickly than standard, and with all those low-down torques, the box works really well both in C and S. Seriously, don't rule it out until you've driven one.

The rear roof pillars peeling is one of those 'they all do that' problems. Lots of threads on here regarding repair or replace. Another DIY, about £80 for new parts, if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's worth it. ;)

Bear in mind, no balance shaft issues to worry about on the near bullet-proof M113 and they don't really require much servicing. DIY oil and filters every once in a while, £70 all in...

The 7G is tweaked by AMG to shift more quickly than standard, and with all those low-down torques, the box works really well both in C and S. Seriously, don't rule it out until you've driven one.

The rear roof pillars peeling is one of those 'they all do that' problems. Lots of threads on here regarding repair or replace. Another DIY, about £80 for new parts, if I'm not mistaken.
sounds tempting, if you can have a chat to my bank manager and get him to give me another £5k that would be great... :wink:

·
Registered 2006 SLK55
101 Posts
Agree that it's worth the extra cost for the 55. In fact, I find the 7g shifting in sport mode to be preferable to what feels like a huge lag when using the shift buttons in manual.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,893 Posts
Agree that it's worth the extra cost for the 55. In fact, I find the 7g shifting in sport mode to be preferable to what feels like a huge lag when using the shift buttons in manual.
Completely agree. The majority of the time I tend to just use manual shift to select a higher gear before the ECU would choose to do so - normally at anything above about 1300 rpm. The engine barely seems to notice. :)

·
Founding Member 2006
108,846 Posts
Congrats!

and post pics!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.