Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
*Registered
2015 SLK250 CDI
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to go and have a look at a Tenorite Grey SLK 172 . Ihavent seen one in the flesh yet only online . Is it a good colour for the SLK your opinions good or bad would be gratefully received .

Michael.:smile:

·
Founding Member 2006
113,460 Posts
If you want a car that shows dirt, get black! I got one!
But I love cleaning it twice a day! :D

·
Banned
973 Posts
We all see colours differently so only you can decide what is good or bad. Other peoples opinions shouldn't matter.
But since you asked.......whilst colour analyst's attribute grey to being serious & 'executive' medium & dark greys match tarmac beautifully thus perfectly camouflaging your presence. In my view the most dangerous car colour of all.
Add an all black interior with a few silver highlights but devoid of all colour can make for a most depressing mix.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
If you're not getting Fire Opal, then in my opinion, Tenorite is the best colour for an SLK.

Our '55 is Fire Opal, our CDi 250 is Tenorite. When it's dirty it looks like it's matt grey and when it's clean it looks like a mirror.

White is next best in my opinion.

Ultimately, any colour on an SLK looks good. It's all down to your preference which is best for you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Tenorite, on a clean car and under a sunny sky, has a dark blue hue. It's a rich colour and on that basis is very attractive. However, on a cloudy day, it becomes what it says on the tin - it's grey, grey and grey again.

But, as has been stated, colour preferences are so personal ...... and it's true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Whatever your choice - good luck with your viewing.

Reactions: stagwcb

·
Registered
500 Posts
I really like Tenorite grey, IMO classy and a little understated, plus it hides dirt well and doesn't force you to clean it every five minutes.

I agree with Jeff, Black looks great when it's clean but you can end up being a slave to it... no more black cars (or slavery) for me... ever!

Then there's Fire Opal (called Mars red in the US) again IMO a stunning colour but... several people on the forum (myself included) are currently experiencing issues with the clear coat micro blistering (is that a real term?) when the cars are a couple of years old. So if you're buying second hand or buying new and planning to keep it long term, it's best to be forwarned of possible issues with this colour.

Good luck with the car hunting, they're great vehicles... I'm sure you'll enjoy it when you find the colour you like :smile:

·
*Registered
2015 SLK250 CDI
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well would you believe it . Pano roof air scarf heated sits mirror pack xenon lights ambient lighting command clear wind deflectors aluminium roll bars . Red belts rain sensitive wipers you name it ,it had it . Rang up said I would ring back when my wife had got back from a funeral in about an hours time and give them a refundable deposit . Rang back Barclay card in hand reception could not find the sales man so she would get him to ring me back . He didn't but she did and told me he had just sold it .

Typical

Michael.

·
Founding Member 2006
113,460 Posts
Sorry. old saying over here. you snooze, you lose
You'll find another!

·
*Registered
Sold my SLK
5,142 Posts
I like Tenorite Grey for the SLK, but prefer Palladium Silver... Our new squeeze is Fire Opal, which I would also consider for an SLK.

·
Registered
62 Posts
>Black looks great when it's clean but you can end up being a slave to it...

I cannot agree more. This is my 3rd black car in a row, and every time I try to talk myself out of buying black on the grounds that it will take an inordinate amount of time to keep it clean, and yet I keep buying black cars. It has gotten to the point where my wife laughs at me when I tell her "I swear my next car will be <insert any color here, other than black>"

I guess its true (at least for cars) - once you go black, you'll never go back :)

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
I like Tenorite Grey for the SLK, but prefer Palladium Silver... Our new squeeze is Fire Opal, which I would also consider for an SLK.
Palladium silver is a nice colour in the sun, when it looks like a solid lump of shiny metal. When the sun isn't on it..... It's just grey.

I think every current Mercedes (with the possible exception of the S-class) looks phenomenal in Fire Opal. It's definitely my favourite. I sincerely hope they drop it because of the micro blistering.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry to hear that Michael but, as stated by jbanks15, there'll be another - better luck next time.

·
*Registered
Sold my SLK
5,142 Posts
Palladium silver is a nice colour in the sun, when it looks like a solid lump of shiny metal. When the sun isn't on it..... It's just grey.

I think every current Mercedes (with the possible exception of the S-class) looks phenomenal in Fire Opal. It's definitely my favourite. I sincerely hope they drop it because of the micro blistering.
Well I enjoyed our SLK in Paladium. It was new for the SLK in 2008 when we brought it, so there weren't many around in that colour. As for looking grey on a grey day, that's sort of true, but it never really looked dirty even when at times it was. So easy to maintain and with any amount of sunshine looked great IMHO.

As for Fire Opal being dropped because of micro blistering. Got any links to hand or should I just search on the web?

Don't know if this will apply to the new SLC, but the new C-class is only available in black or white as standard, all the other colours are designo options and Fire Opal is not one of them. The only red on the current pallet is Hyacinth metallic, which looks good on the cars I've seen.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Well would you believe it . Pano roof air scarf heated sits mirror pack xenon lights ambient lighting command clear wind deflectors aluminium roll bars . Red belts rain sensitive wipers you name it ,it had it . Rang up said I would ring back when my wife had got back from a funeral in about an hours time and give them a refundable deposit . Rang back Barclay card in hand reception could not find the sales man so she would get him to ring me back . He didn't but she did and told me he had just sold it .

Typical

Michael.
Is this one too old?

http://used.mercedes-benz.co.uk/use...50-cdi-blueefficiency-exeter-for-sale-oy62vvk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Alarm bells ringing!!!!!

The 'Paint issues?' thread, post no 1? - This is the very car that was the subject of my initial query - Exeter being not far from my home near Swansea!!!

Yes, many moons ago, still not sold - raises concerns? Not seen the vehicle so should not comment, but it's right that we are all aware.

Edit added - checked my e-mails and yes, reg no is the car which I had checked on November 2 - it had been advertised during October and then, as per first post, it 'disappeared'. In fairness to the dealership, they were adamant that it would be rectified by Mercedes and that a thorough repair would take some considerable time.

Noted that the new price was £2000 cheaper since Xmas, then edited two days ago because the price had gone back up - now edited again as the price is back down by £2000 (Monday Jan 17).

Reactions: stagwcb and wja96

·
Banned
973 Posts
>Black looks great when it's clean but you can end up being a slave to it...

I cannot agree more. This is my 3rd black car in a row, and every time I try to talk myself out of buying black on the grounds that it will take an inordinate amount of time to keep it clean, and yet I keep buying black cars. It has gotten to the point where my wife laughs at me when I tell her "I swear my next car will be <insert any color here, other than black>"

I guess its true (at least for cars) - once you go black, you'll never go back :)
On my third black car in a row; Honda S2000, Audi A3 Cab., & SLK. Never had the same colour so many times. BUT am rather taken with white as long as it's not solid but has a slight tint or is metallic.

·
Registered 2012 SLK200
5 Posts
So sorry you missed the car. I've got an R172 in diamond silver with crystal grey leather interior. I hadn't seen one in this colour when I ordered it but am so glad I did. It doesn't show the dirt and has a very slight hint of blue about it. It gets lots of compliments and seems to be quite a rare colour.
Good luck finding a car, they're great whatever the colour!
Perhaps I might see you around as I have a place in Swanage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.