Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Sad day here for me. I was just starting my second full week with the car and was on my way to the bank. A guy in a large toyota tundra was preparing to turn right onto a busy intersection but he rolled past the line for the stop sign. Realizing there was alot of oncoming traffic he quickly puts it into reverse. I immediately honk and he continues to give it gas backing up... rams right through my front bumper with where his ball hitch would go. He wasn't backing extremely fast 5-10MPH but you could just hear the car crunch loudly when he hit me.

The actual damage to the bumper is about a 5" square right where the metal piece hit the frame of the car? It is now wedged there and is not a hollow gap. The piece it his is solid.

My question now is....how much damage can a small impact like this have done to my car. It did not hit the radiator thankfully so it can still be driven. Now feel like I am hearing air come through the front and small triangle windows and also clearly hearing a fan run that I never heard before. This is the first accident I have ever been in and don't no whether I am just being overly sensitive or if I should really drill the appraiser to look at certain areas when giving the quote. The guy made it seem like its just a bumper its minor, and drove off after getting his ticket. I am now waiting on his claims department to call me back.

Would the energy have been absorbed in the doors, windows, and top?

Any advice would be great should I take it directly to Benz to be fixed? Flat out tell me if I am worrying to much. I am so sad. :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Up here in the great white north, you get to choose where the car is repaired - this protects you from the insurance company taking you to some low-ball operation. We have members in your area, perhaps they can recommend a first class shop.

First, don't touch a thing until the appraiser has had a look at it. That said, that doesn't stop you from getting smart - take it to a good shop right away and explain the situation, and get their slant on the damage. That way you can point out some things to the appraiser. There could indeed be damage behind the bumper, but it it's unlikely that it will be structural. Add the fan to the unlikely list.

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,484 Posts
I had almost the exact same thing happen to me a number of years ago. Some moron pulled out in the intersection to make a turn, I was behind the line and they changed their mind! I can really feel your pain.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's like you were on the jousting field. I feel your pain. You never know what panels have been knocked out of wack. As suggested, get to a good body shop or your dealer and show them the damage. I hope you get everything fixed up nice as new! And I don't even have an SLK yet..

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,419 Posts
Most major insurance have shops that are top line shops that you can go to that will do the work with less hassle on your part. If this the case it is a good way to get your fixed.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Mine's in the shop right now getting a new front bumper. State Farm has "special shops" that they let make the appraisal and fix it as well. If it makes you feel better I also got a quote from the M-B dealer and it was the same price - $1,500 to replace a bumper - ouch !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This claim will actually be through state farm too. I want them to give it a real good look over because I do not want to have problems down the road and not be able to get them fixed.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
So sorry to hear about your trouble. There are lots of morons out there. May advice is put a dash cam. This will save you from lots of trouble in the future! :bannana: No need to get the most expensive one (though quality matters), get a decent $200 one.
As for the quote - go visit several different shops, let them check everything, especially the radiator and the a/c condenser since it's right in front of it, any misalignments, etc. and get the most expensive one and send it to his insurance. I think that's the matter - he acknowledged the accident and his insurance pays for it. He doesn't pay for it anyways - his insurance does so let these guys write you a check and you can later decide where you want to fix your car. :tu: Teach him a lesson :D

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
You can take it to the dealer and they will give you a detailed estimate. You can then compare it to the one the shop gives you. SF will let you use whoever you want. I think they'll cut you a check for the amount of the estimate less your deductible and let you fix it however you want. I knew a shop that was highly recommended and the fact that it was already a "select" shop just made things go faster.

As yours is drivable you can take your time. I would get a State Farm shop to quote it as well as a dealer like was said above - if there is something hidden they are most likely to find it. If you know a good shop that you trust then you can let them quote it and even use them. The quotes I had from both shops actually had M-B parts #'s on them so you could check them out using EPC as well.

I'm picking mine up Friday so I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm having the hood painted as well while they're working in it.

Best Wishes,

Reactions: leapyfish

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,419 Posts
The top line shops and adjusters use computers with prices and they just enter in the type of damage and the computer will figure out what needs to be replaced and the cost. I had a accident long time ago and the local body shop made pictures and sent them to and adjuster several hundred away. Both then did separate estimates and came up with the same repair and cost. One from pictures and one from on site inspection. Both did state any items that was found damaged not in price would be covered. The shops that are special shops or approved shops by insurance company I have found to be the better shops. They are not shade tree shops.

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,748 Posts
I am so sorry that happened to you, it's like a punch in the stomach. A friend of mine has a BMW and used:

www.brennanbodyworks.com

...they were very thorough and checked out other possibilities for additional damage...hope this helps!

·
Registered Looking for an SLK
602 Posts
Don't worry heres a pic of the front of mine a lot worse than yours and there was no major damage inside they are strong cars. Tho the repair costs were high but as it was the guy reversing into you hopefully his insurance pays.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.