Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner of 2001 SLK 230. Just finished the installation of a CD changer bought on ebay ($30!). Wanted to document some of the more technical aspects of the install, at least for a 2001 SLK.

1. Required reading is install instructions from slk32.com. That webpage no longer exists so you'll have to use wayback machine. The directions are spot on for the connection of the fiber-optic cables to the radio. I did not require any servicing from a dealer to make the CD work. The car never had a CD changer, either (Data from the car's datacard). An important thing to remember here is in the trunk, remove the TEL-IN (from the connector which has HU-OUT and TEL-IN) and replace it with HU-IN. I think there is a definite "what you keep and what you move" order to this. At the head, keep the one with CD-IN, and move the CD-OUT to it.

2. You'll have to undo one zip tie in the trunk to get the fiber optic cables free. Its by the relay (the big plug with 40 wires is just below it). The power cord is actually downward from the big plug with 40 wires. You dont need to undo another ziptie, but rather tape.

3. Once you do the optic cable changes, test it out. It should work. If not test things with the laser pointer. The red light in the head unit will go to the white light in the trunk, and vice versa.

4. The hardest part for me was the hardware, particularly mounting it to the sheet-metal body of the car. The file below SLK 02 – 00.pdf has some info, but it is somewhat confusing

5. If you'd like to have the CD cartridge be at the rearmost part of the vehicle (thus you will be able to access it when the top is down), you have to do another step
. Basically there are three parts holding the CD player - the cage, the Z brackets holding the CD player to the cage, and the mounting bracket which goes to the car. Basically have to turn the Z brackets upside down, but the rub here is you actually have to swap the right and left Z brackets. The Z brackets have a "-1" and "-2" marking to them. So if the "– 1" is on the right, you need to put it on the left. The Z brackets are actually held on by a star bolt.

6. Here is the most important part, mounting the bracket onto the car. You basically remove 3 plastic rivets which hold the trunk trim on (2 of them under the access panel). You'll see the sheet metal hole left. In the SLK 02-00.pdf file it recommends you enlarge those holes to 10 mm, and then use "inserts" which I assume are rivet nuts(they want you to use M6 in that case) . DO NOT DO THIS!!!! it is exceptionally hard to enlarge the hole without plunging the drill. Keep in mind you are in the vicinity of the hydraulics for the top, and your almost guranteed to plunge the drill if you drill through it as the sheet metal is pretty strong, and you have to put force on it. I just used the hole that was there and drove a 10-24 rivet nut into it. Do this for all three holes. You may need to empty the trunk and spare to get room to drive the rivet nuts. Highly recommend aluminum rivet nuts over steel.

7. I found running the fiber optic cables and power cables as depicted in the SLK 02-00 to be pretty good. The final gaf is that if you turned the CD around (As in #5), you find the fiber optic cable is under a bit of stress due to the wicked 540 degree turn it has to take. This is because the L connector of the fiber optics points the fiber optic cable the wrong way. I just cut down that connector to remove the 90 degree turn part of it.

Attachments

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, the rivet nuts pretty much took everything out of me. For some strange reason I thought it would be good to use galvanized steel nuts. So learn from this and use aluminum!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts