Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if its possible to have throttle blip programmed into the software for a 2005 SLK 55 AMG and how do you do it.
It has the 7 speed automatic gear box.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
What is the purpose of throttle blipping?
To match the speed of the layshaft to the output shaft (on proper gearboxes anyway!!) to give smoother gearchanges. In the days before synchro, you had to do this yourself (called double-de clutching), else the gears would grate every time you selected a different gear. (My first car was a bit like that!!)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,078 Posts
Woolly's 1st dinosaur was like that!

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
My first car needed a double de-clutch for 1st and reverse.

Throttle blipping also helps a smother gear change on modern cars, just raise the revs a little after you disengage the gear and pass through neutral. It avoids engine braking as you engage the next gear - that sluggish feeling as if the car on a patch of treacle when you change gear.

If you get it perfect then you can play with changing gear without using the clutch.

If you get confident you overstep the mark and hear a big grinding sound!

As for the 7G auto, I'm not sure how much customising can be done with the software. I could certainly do with a blip when my box is cold, but its OK when warmed up. The AMG box is said to have a smoother faster change, I'm not sure if that is just software or if the box is physically different.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Just to complete the thread....

Hey Phil - not at all! So I wandered down this road with a couple of folks stateside, with a company called - if I remember correctly! MPH Tuning. They were never able to deliver despite a number of attempts.

I've not looked lately to see if anything has changed. The problem is that the whole TCU was updated post facelift, and it seems as if it's 1] impossible to replicate the "blip" on the old TCU/ECU combination, and 2] Not possible to marry a "new" style TCU with the older ECU's - so you end up having to replace both - with no guarantee that Star would be able to program them in an older chassis...

Regards,
john

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All talked to the MB Guru in the UK and he said that the newer models have a program software change to allow the car to do this. However its not possible on older models such as 2005 and back.
So i to will give up the quest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.