Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to own a VXR8 - 6.0 V8, RWD with a mechanical LSD and proper switchable TC. I'm not saying I'm any kind of driving hero, but it was very, very easy to play with the tail. Friendly too, so it flattered even ham-fisted drivers like myself.

However, as we all know, you can't turn the TC off in the '55 - only the ESP (ignoring secret menus) and there is no standard LSD.

But I find it massively unpredictable. It's getting cold, wet and slightly more slippery here in the UK - so a good jab on the throttle has the warning light on the dash when turning out of tight bends. Understandable, as the TC is never off.

Yet, I can do this out of one turn, and it spins an inside wheel, TC cuts in and kills the power. Yet, other times, it'll spin both wheels and drift out of a bend requiring a dab of opposite lock to correct, which is absolutely perfect.

Is it just me who finds the TC/ESP a bit random in its operation?

(Sidenote - I'm not some hooligan who drives everywhere like this, but I drive home down some quiet country lanes where I can have a play in peace!)

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
I find it more predictable in M mode - the auto seems to mess with the power delivery more when coupled with the traction control

Give that a go ...

Reactions: MattyB

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,893 Posts
At the onset of our cooler, slippier weather, I thought my ESP was defective - despite that there were no warning lights. Quite a lot of wheel spin and fish-taling with no flicker of the yellow triangle. So yesterday I was specifically a bit more aggressive with it and the light seems to be kicking in again as usual. Last time I really played with it, my tyres were shot, so I hoofed it with abandon. Since replacing my rears in the summer, I've been mindful not to light them up. My conclusion; if your tyres are quite grippy, the ESP is much slower to intervene.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.