1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,403 Posts
Takata just filed for bankruptcy

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
396 Posts
Just got a MB Takata airbag safety recall update notice that they are looking at having parts by March 31, 2018 to upgrade our car (2008 SLK 350, priority group 4).

Baja-D

·
96,403 Posts

·
96,403 Posts
I know....Get your government to get their act together :D

·
96,403 Posts
I only post the stuff
I don't read the stuff :D

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
MBUSA is for, well, the USA. Might try Mercedes.Me for the UK or maybe this outside site (have no idea if the second site is any good).

I just let Bing do the search for "Mercedes Recall UK", most of my time was cutting the MB URL down to something manageable.

ps remember being at a security conference in Vegas (with my "I am not a fed" card) when some kids came in pitching something called "google" as a replacement for archie.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,048 Posts
MBUSA is for, well, the USA. Might try Mercedes.Me for the UK or maybe this outside site (have no idea if the second site is any good).

I just let Bing do the search for "Mercedes Recall UK", most of my time was cutting the MB URL down to something manageable.
Im not bothered

Last time i read the fault codes off my car there was none !
I dont drive it enough for the electrics to reach all the wiring any way . :grin:

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
546 Posts
As has been said, those links are for the USA. The UK as well as other European governments are quite gentle on car manufacturers. Whilst the US fined VW large sums plus payments to the buyers of diesel cars VW have not paid a penny in the UK.

Presumably UK bound MB cars had Takata airbags.

This official UK site:

DVSA - Vehicle Recalls

Shows that there have been no recalls for S Class vehicles......a little different to searching the US site!

·
2,719 Posts
Yes, those codes may take a week by Post to reach the computer, more if the traction engine breaks down.

ps for those who do not know Mercs have two sorts of codes: OBD-II (generic) and Merc specific. The second it keeps forever (until cleared). I've seen a car that had no OBD codes and no dash lights but still had over 20 codes stored. This is common if the battery is changed without being bridged.

·
2,719 Posts
BTW this site mentioned by Red has multiple entries for passenger cars. Just "Mercedes Benz" finds SLK recalls and then you can choose both "SLK" and "SLK-Class".

Airbags are lines 13 and 14 here. Note - had to use "all models" and search for "air bag". "Airbag" (no space) gets a different list.

I find it much easier to enter my VIN at the MB site.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
504 Posts
Yet another delay!

Just got a MB Takata airbag safety recall update notice that they are looking at having parts by March 31, 2018 to upgrade our car (2008 SLK 350, priority group 4).

Baja-D
Did you get a follow up letter saying your date and group have changed?

Just curious, because I received the same letter with the same priority group and date from MBUSA for my 2010 GLK350 when you got yours for your SLK and then got another letter from them on Saturday saying my GLK had been moved to priority group 5 and that they "hope to" have the parts by the end of June.

<RANT MODE>
What really tick me off is that the Feds won't allow dealers to give owners the option of having their airbags deactivated until they can be properly repaired. My first three cars had metal dashboards, some with bullet shaped knobs, unforgiving steering wheels, and no seat belts, much less shoulder belts and airbags. My first Mercedes wasn't much better, but it did have lap belts and "a bit" of padding on the dash. Perhaps that's why the idea of living without airbags bothers me considerably less than the idea of playing airbag Russian roulette.
</RANT MODE>

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Takat recall

I also received a letter from MB stating that my SLK was moved down to priority level 5 (June 2018 timeframe for repair). I guess we should not drive in Florida until then (heat and humidity cause the airbag inflator issue)!

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
396 Posts
Did you get a follow up letter saying your date and group have changed?

Just curious, because I received the same letter with the same priority group and date from MBUSA for my 2010 GLK350 when you got yours for your SLK and then got another letter from them on Saturday saying my GLK had been moved to priority group 5 and that they "hope to" have the parts by the end of June.

<RANT MODE>
What really tick me off is that the Feds won't allow dealers to give owners the option of having their airbags deactivated until they can be properly repaired. My first three cars had metal dashboards, some with bullet shaped knobs, unforgiving steering wheels, and no seat belts, much less shoulder belts and airbags. My first Mercedes wasn't much better, but it did have lap belts and "a bit" of padding on the dash. Perhaps that's why the idea of living without airbags bothers me considerably less than the idea of playing airbag Russian roulette.
</RANT MODE>
No...I did not get a second letter. Also if you look at the number of injuries verses the total number of cars driving around with these airbags, the risk of something happening is really very low.

Update: From a current Reuters article there have been 22 deaths and over 200 injuries so far....however the total number of vehicles out there with the airbags subject to the recall is 125,000,000 (42,000,000 in the US).

Baja-D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts