Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone received communication from MB about airbag recall?

Although I have not received any official communication, a PM from MbPaul alerted me to this possibility (published in edmunds.com) and I verified with service advisor. A quick entry of the VIN shows that there is a recall specific to the airbag, but the local MB is awaiting for the new parts and further details from corporate office.

I don't know if this applies to both driver and passenger front air bags or driver side only.

I am awaiting official letter or communication from MBUSA.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Has anybody heard anything about UK cars?

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
249 Posts
According to the MB recall site:

Once parts are available customers will be sent a letter asking them to go to an authorized Mercedes Benz dealer who will replace the Driver side front airbag of the potentially affected vehicles. Recall Campaign 2016020003 Owners may contact Mercedes-Benz at 1-800-367-6372.

·
*Registered
2007 SLK280
267 Posts
This week a young girl in houston driving a honda was killed from an airbag exploding and sending shrapnel at her. Very sad. Honda claims they notified her, the family claims otherwise. My wife won't drive our slk now after seeing it on the list of affected cars. Fortunately we own some other nice cars to drive. Hope this gets sorted soon.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
174 Posts
It looks somewhat limited for the SLK. Model years 2007 and 2008 for the 280, 350 and 55 AMG. Of course, this is for US based models only.
I talked to M-B Customer Care this morning to inquire about the recall. The individual that I talked to said that SLK models from 2005 to 2014 were included but were VIN specific. Although my car is a 2005, I was told that my VIN is not included in the recall. I'm not sure what to believe.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I talked to M-B Customer Care this morning to inquire about the recall. The individual that I talked to said that SLK models from 2005 to 2014 were included but were VIN specific. Although my car is a 2005, I was told that my VIN is not included in the recall. I'm not sure what to believe.
Here is the link to edmunds.com publication as sent to me by forum member mbpaul: Mercedes-Benz USA Recalls 711,266 Vehicles With Potentially Defective Takata Airbags | Edmunds.com

SLK models (probably North American only, no idea on European models) affected are:

2007-'08 Mercedes-Benz SLK280
2007-'08 Mercedes-Benz SLK350
2007-'08 Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Received official letter from MB today stating I will get another letter when the parts are available.

The airbags involved are: Takata PSDI-5 and SDI inflators, driver side only.
There are 2 priorities:

1. If you live in the state of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, or Puerto Rico, your vehicle falls in NHTSA PRIORITY Group 1. Seems like high humidity areas are at higher risk.

2. All other States are in NHTSA PRIORITY Group 2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.