Mercedes SLK World banner

Which October weekend is best for you to take a ride through the wonderful roads in Tennessee?

• The first weekend of 5-6

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • The second weekend of 12-13

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • The third weekend of 19-20

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • The last weekend of 26-27

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just floating an idea. Anybody like the idea of going to a meet at the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee? I know for many members of the forum, a drive along the Tail is a bucket list item. After all, we do own “sports” cars. For the next 60 days, the weather will be ideal for a get together. I would appreciate those that read this and are interested to chime in below. Little bit of feedback would be nice. F)

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG w/P30
249 Posts
Would love to join you ....... but it's a long way from Cornwall, England.:frown:

Besides, I have my own Cornish Byways Road trip to run!:laugh:

So, sorry, can't make it this time.

If you go, please share some photos with us guys over the Pond.:grin:

DaveR.

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
252 Posts
A great idea! I’m way too far away to meet up in Tennessee, but totally appreciate the idea of “locals” hosting a non-competitive rally that tours special roads. Drives that feature scenery, cuisine and interesting activities while providing appropriate exercise for our cars.

tn

·
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody else? If we get more than a few people together, we can then pick a date that is comfortable for everybody.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,219 Posts
I like the idea - it's about 4-5 hour trip from my house to Deals Gap; a Sunday meetup would be best for me - that way I can break the drive up. Fontana Dam is a great place for a picnic if you're looking for such.

My day job also may factor in as well, depending on what day you pick.

·
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am in Columbia. You would be passing right through here I assume. It’s my understanding that the weekend is not the best time to take the tail. Opinions? We got three maybes. I would like to have at least six or seven cars.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
29 Posts
To be honest, there's way too much law enforcement at the dragon these days. Also the speed limit is 35mph. Not trying to be a downer. But the dragon isn't much fun now. Unless you enjoy crowded roads with slow drivers (A lot of which have no business trying to drive a road that curvy. Causing crashes which brings in the LEOs).
I used to ride bikes over there. With my job, I spent 3 days a week there. And it definitely used to be a blast. But, sadly, it is too well known now. So most people who know the area stay away.
Not trying to be the blah person. But just letting you know what you might be getting into and that also, it's no where near as much fun as it used to be.

·
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the heads up Vicki. Any suggestions for a drive like that in this area? I’m in Columbia.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
29,507 Posts
To be honest, there's way too much law enforcement at the dragon these days. Also the speed limit is 35mph. Not trying to be a downer. But the dragon isn't much fun now. Unless you enjoy crowded roads with slow drivers (A lot of which have no business trying to drive a road that curvy. Causing crashes which brings in the LEOs).
I used to ride bikes over there. With my job, I spent 3 days a week there. And it definitely used to be a blast. But, sadly, it is too well known now. So most people who know the area stay away.
Not trying to be the blah person. But just letting you know what you might be getting into and that also, it's no where near as much fun as it used to be.

Could the best bits be hit during early am/late pm?

Interested parties could consider an overnight.

Even us Brit bikers have heard of that route.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,584 Posts
While not famous like the tail of the dragon, HWY 28 in NC that is one approach road to the tail is very nice as well. There are good roads also south east of the tail, should google "riding loops" in western NC. Google "c0pper head Loop" for another challenging tour.

Or just pull up maps and look at HWY 143 and Hwy 129 lots of squiggles.

If I lived closer (13 hours out), I would do this with you guys.

·
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, make an overnight trip! This is a bucket list destination for sports car is isn’t it?

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
29 Posts
If one were to go there, an overnight is definitely a must.
By all means, if it's a bucket list item, it should be done!
I wasn't trying to dissuade anyone. Only letting you know that it is crowed with visitors and law enforcement.
My best guess is to try to hit it around Tue or Wed during the week. And do early morning runs if you want to play. If not, it is still a cool place to hang out at the store and BS and meet new people. LOL
There's also several nice roads surrounding the area.
Hwy 28 was mentioned. It is a really fun road too. (There's a few around that are a blast)
Most roads in the eastern TN/western NC boarder tend to be twisty. So I personally enjoy them.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
29 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Vicki. Any suggestions for a drive like that in this area? I’m in Columbia.
So, you are in Columbia SC?
If so, I'm only a couple hours away.
I live near Anderson, SC now. But still have friends and family in NC/TN.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,454 Posts
Tail of the Dragon for those who do not know it is a route 11 miles long with 318 curves has the road is bordered by the Great Smoky Mountains and the Cherokee National Forest with no intersecting roads or driveways to hamper your travel. On the NC side tractor trailer trucks are not permitted as the curves are so sharp.

Been across it before the the wife refuses to do it again.

There many planned events that you might want to avoid that are by clubs and bikers. These could clog the road and the area around it.
May
MAY 2 - 6 Minis on the Dragon at Fontana Village Resort website
May 4-6 Thunder in the Smokies Spring Rally website
MAY 3 - 6 The-Epic-Drive 2018 website
May 10 - May 13 Rock the Dragon 2018 at Fontana Village Resort website
May 11 - MR2s at The Dragon at Fontana Village Resort website
May 12 Annual Elements on the Dragon - open to all Honda Element owners. More info available to members on the Facebook Group or Email for info
May 19 - May 20 · Chase The Dragon Hill Climb Joyce Kilmer Forest Rd, Robbinsville, NC website
May 25 - May 26 Stang Driven website
MAY 26 Sportsters Taking Over The Tail Of The Dragon 2018 website
May 29 - Jun 2 Great Smoky Mountain HOG Rally website
JUNE
Jun 8 - Jun 10 2018 Smoky Mountain Crawl website
June 9 Cherohala Challenge Century bicycle ride on the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway website
June 22-24 Rennsport Dragon Rally website
June 29-July 1 Thunder in the Smokies Summer Rally website

·
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chuck, what are your impressions of the ride? We know what your wife are! Would you ever want to do it again?(your wife can wait at the hotel)

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,454 Posts
Chuck, what are your impressions of the ride? We know what your wife are! Would you ever want to do it again?(your wife can wait at the hotel)
I have no problems she can get a little car sick on these type of roads. We have done several of them over the years in the mountains of western NC. Like other have pointed out the are several roads in the area that also be fun to drive.

·
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I’m thinking about changing the actual route from the tail to the snake. The snake is a little bit north of the tail of the Dragon, but is a 33 miles sweeping route.
?The Snake? Motorcycle Road Trip - Johnson County Chamber

Snake 421 Ride Information | The Snake 421 Motorcycle Road

This is a drive that might as well be custom designed for car such as ours. Take a look and give me your opinions please.
I figure maybe the second week of October the weather should be magnificent.

Any takers?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts