Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Find recall campaign for your Vehicle
Mercedes-Benz USA

This will also allow you to look up any prospective purchase VIN numbers and confirm if the vehicle recall has been serviced by MB-USA and if/when it was completed.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
It's funny, but my wife's SLK 32 AMG was recalled and the tail lights done back in 2007.

Now in 2016, we are doing them AGAIN.

Total price shipped was $395 for both sides, complete with sockets and bulbs.

Not too bad. Either I or my mechanic will install them. Shouldn't take half hour per side.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's funny, but my wife's SLK 32 AMG was recalled and the tail lights done back in 2007.

Now in 2016, we are doing them AGAIN.

Total price shipped was $395 for both sides, complete with sockets and bulbs.

Not too bad. Either I or my mechanic will install them. Shouldn't take half hour per side.
Some questions - of course:
Who is "we"? the Dealer/MB and you, or you and your mechanic?
Why do they have to be redone again? Same problem or different problem?

thanks,
Carl B.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Some questions - of course:
Who is "we"? the Dealer/MB and you, or you and your mechanic?
Why do they have to be redone again? Same problem or different problem?

thanks,
Carl B
Carl,

OK, the 'we' is basically my wife and I. I purchased the two replacement tail lights from an online MB dealer I've used several times now.

So I guess you could add that MB dealer into that 'we'.

But since I turned 60, the wife doesn't require ME to do the work any more. Our mechanic is super, mainly working on my stuff (chevys & dodges) but he has also done work on HER SLK32 AMG as well. He replaced BOTH tail lights in a cold light rain while the car was under the awning in less than ten minutes and then tried to wave his fee, which I had to put my foot down.

I pull my own freight OR pay for it to be pulled these days, anyway.

So I guess that the 'we' is all four. ME for ordering the parts and knowing which dealer to use, My wife for owning the vehicle, the online MB dealer for the part and my mechanic who first discovered the issue and then put in the replacement parts that I got for him.

I hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Carl,

Sorry, I only halfway answered your question.

The problem is, the tail light buckets get 'soft' over time and usage. That allows each bulb to twist in their sockets and NOT connect to the power source.

After receiving the replacement buckets with bulbs, I was impressed with their design.

The fact that the buckets replaced in 2007 had to be replaced again because they had deformed (you could see where it had sagged just a little bit) is a testament to their design, but not the plastic used in their manufacture.

Hopefully the ones we put in last week or so won't only last for five years - hopefully they will last at least the nine years like the replacement set lasted. And if they do need to be replaced. we will buy another set. $400 for a complete with bulbs set spread over nine years is less than $50 a year in maintenance costs.We can afford that price.

Hey, it IS a 2002 SLK 32 AMG. - EVERYTHING ON THIS CAR is more expensive than any other car we have owned except my 1978 911 SC Porsche I owned back in the 80's.

European cars just cost more (we've owned a SAAB as well) to maintain. You know that going in. Or you should know that before you purchase one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2001 SLK 320 soon after I first purchased it back in 2005. Both sides indicating a bulb gone. I removed the light cluster to find the bulb contacts had burnt through. The best remedy and the cheapest (practically£0)was to file off the burnt metal down to clean steel and build up a solder blob over the hole. I haven't had a problem since (11 years!).... the local MB dealer recommended replacing both light clusters @ appx £160 each!!!! No thanks, if the problem does reappear I shall just add a bit more solder. It's so nice to find simple, effective and cheap solutions. Hope this is useful to all you SLK owners.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Carl,

Sorry, I only halfway answered your question.

The problem is, the tail light buckets get 'soft' over time and usage. That allows each bulb to twist in their sockets and NOT connect to the power source.
......{snipped..cjb}....
Hi wallew - I just got the notice today, that you had added a reply 4 days ago. So I'm a little late in responding.. Thanks, for taking the time to explain what happened. Now I'll know what to watch for..

Carl B.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
You will get a 'yellow' light bulb like warning light on the lower right of the dash. My wife said it was 'the sun'.

But it's lower right of the dash board and it did not go away until the light bulbs were screwed in a certain way That is what caused my mechanic to look closely at the light buckets and discover they was an ever so slight ripple in the black plastic part, not the lens.

That when he started looking for recalls and found the one issued back some time in mid 2000.

$400 later, it's all fixed and worth every penny.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Below are some photos of a damaged assembly, Particularly the brake light circuit. The damage created was deep pitting at the contact point of bulb housing.
Final image is my repair.
Obviously not a correction to the actual problem, but it should temporarily correct functionality.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you bryantmoll for the pictures!

Every now and then, I get the sunburst warning light too.
I checked my VIN online and the Safety Recall #2006080005 showed up.

I called the Stealership and they say there is no recall showing up in their system.
I mentioned this Safety Recall number. The lady repeats that there is no recall in their system under my VIN number.

Does this mean the recall was already performed? Or the recall didn't apply to my specific vehicle?
(she didn't answer either of these two questions)

PS- Stealership wants $425 for a replacement key transponder!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I recommend that you contact the North American Mercedes Benz office.

Explain the situation. AS LONG AS YOU CAR HAS NOT HAD A NEW SET ON THIS RECALL, they should give you a new set for free.

I paid over $400 for the pair, but my wife's care DID have a set replaced for free by the dealership. They don't do the recall twice. But if your vehicle has NOT had a free set put in, they should give you a set for free.

Just my .02 - good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Below are some photos of a damaged assembly, Particularly the brake light circuit. The damage created was deep pitting at the contact point of bulb housing.
Final image is my repair.
Obviously not a correction to the actual problem, but it should temporarily correct functionality.
UPDATE: Just received this info from MBUSA:
Dear Bryant,

Thank you for your email to Mercedes-Benz USA.

The recall #: 2006080005 was performed on your car on 4/19/07 at 53,110 miles and is closed.

There are no open recalls or service campaigns available at this time for your 2002 SLK230.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond. Have an enjoyable day.

Sincerely,

Debbie A.
Mercedes-Benz USA

-----------------------The photos attached to the original post we're of the updated lens! OBVIOUSLY the update was not a viable repair or correction------------- So-far no troubles with my repair.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The tail lamps on my 1999 were replaced before I purchased it. I tried soldering the plastic connectors, but this fix only worked a few months for me. I got a little more aggressive by drilling a hole through the smaller plastic guide and the inner plastic base itself. I installed a sheet metal screw in the hole to form a more solid connection between the bulb circuit board and the plastic assembly. a $1 repair.

https://jsuiha.bn.files.1drv.com/y4mb228iOESwf2pZtMEbCU785c9DajqT3Tt9TWS3fkiv2YoDnNh1E5hMO6-nkDJ-RE1MK5oexjqarWzNf2oVtG9q7PjBUsGJfj7QTnkxxkHBarL-7XIo6sfYg8zB0KzVeoy-OuGf_PeZsLnWNySznco6stnd0ZYVuxQezAODvX908hC093I0IWr6UO0MtgcoigXFhZMViPOshNwGTvbZdoLrQ?width=4032&height=3024&cropmode=none

1 - 17 of 17 Posts