Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those wondering about our current lovely British Weather, well My Sister is over from Australia this summer and has a canny knack of picking (or bringing) good weather for Her visit(s)....!!! :tu:

So one of the main reasons for Her visit (apart from seeing family members of course), is to do a Euro Road Trip with Me :smile:
...and earlier in the year, She forwarded a rough plan of what She had in mind for the route:

Like, hey - How big can Europe be...???

Attachments

·
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, as was pointed out to me by a couple of Kiwi's whilst hiking in the Swiss Alps, 'Wow, you're so lucky to have all this [i.e. Europe in general] just on your doorstep'

I guess it's all relative Trev:smile:
Totally agree, the UK alone has so much offer - Assuming it's not cold, windy & pouring with rain...... :|
But then We are not only lucky to have the variety of Europe on our door step, but us in the South also have Heathrow Airport where You can fly direct to almost any where in the world... :tu:

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
For those wondering about our current lovely British Weather, well My Sister is over from Australia this summer and has a canny knack of picking (or bringing) good weather for Her visit(s)....!!! :tu:

So one of the main reasons for Her visit (apart from seeing family members of course), is to do a Euro Road Trip with Me :smile:
...and earlier in the year, She forwarded a rough plan of what She had in mind for the route:

Like, hey - How big can Europe be...???
Wow Trev now that's a trip - how long you going for 3 months :grin:

I guess you will be narrowing that down a bit?

·
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Off Topic in Norway.....

Now that's what Icall a road trip Hope there's lots of pics as usual Trev'. :tu:
LOL – You know Me Davie, always do My best to get that “SLK on Location” picture..!!

Wow Trev now that's a trip - how long you going for 3months :grin:
I guess you will be narrowing that down a bit?
Your right Dave, may be possible to drive it in 3 or 4 weeks, but think You would need 3 months to do the above route justice:

Luckily having “done” Scotland with Davies Spring Tour & The Cornwall Byways with @DaveR, then with the Bank Manager precluded the Ireland leg, due to the ferry cost....

And going slightly off topic, We did a family 20,000 calorie/day cruise to Norway this spring and apart from the wonderful scenery, got Me thinking about a future SLK Road Trip to Norway:

This is our invading P&O 3000 passenger ship (Though as a consolation, it did serve London Pride in the bars!!):

But did manage to have a chat & hand a SLK World business card to these SLK owners in Stavanger (Turned out to be American & working in the Norway Oil Industry)

As You can see, the roads are not exactly busy:

Also has some nice back roads – As long as You don’t meet a cruise ship Tourist Coach...!!

Then the view from the top deck of our ship:

Would certainly consider going back with our SLK – Just need to pick the correct spring weather window..

Attachments

·
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Day_1

Day of departure – Bit of last minute packing and important to check for any stowaways:
(Especially if They don’t have a pet passport..!)

Cloudy mid week 115 mile drive down to the Euro Tunnel Terminal at Folkestone, so the roof stayed up.... :frown:
But made good time in the rush hour traffic, so had time for a breakfast snack & coffee :smile:

Still cloudy while waiting to board, but put the roof went down anyway & almost boarded our train on time!

Our first day was planned as a relatively short ~260 mile type day just to get My Sister into the swing of hours & hours in a SLK... Plus our hotel had a nice pool by a lake and the idea was to get there for a swim...
But heading South from Calais, it was cloudy & the strong side wind made 125kmh top down driving not as pleasurable as it could be.... With a swim not going to happen, I remembered @davest4s Laon pictures from last year, so dropped into the walled Medieval Town to check it out:

Also has a 12th century “Cathédrale Notre Dame” Didn't go it, but meant to be as good inside as well:

Quick SLK photo stop :tu:

Before making it to our hotel just after 5pm
https://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/restaurant-du-lac-de-l-ailette.en-gb.html?
For a "end of day one" cuppa on the balcony!!

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
Another road trip story to read and enjoy :smile:
Have you got a route itinerary to share or are you going with the flow?

·
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another road trip story to read and enjoy :smile:
Have you got a route itinerary to share or are you going with the flow?
As this will possibly be a one off Euro Road Trip for My Sister, planning to show some of the bits that I've most liked from previous trips:
So heading down through France, for some SLK play time in the Alps R)
Then Provence & the French Grand Canyon, bit of French Riviera, Eze, and Monaco for first stage....

·
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Day_2

The day got off to a good start, with an Otter having a morning wash & brush up in the lake in front of hotel balcony:

...and the hazy sun while having breakfast by to pool, was looking more promising for a top down driving day:

Unfortunately the second day of this year’s Euro Road Trip was always going to be a long day with at least ~ 430 miles to be covered & the 7 hours suggested by Google maps, which did not include comfort stops, or diversions to play in the start of the Alps (Which has a consequence of a lower average speed & longer driving time..)

After some nice local roads, We re-joined the French Motorways Toll Network to get some serious km’s under the tyres. While stopped at this Motorway picnic stop, had a chat with another English Couple in a Black R172/250d also heading South through France. Passed on a SLKworld business card – But sorry to report that they passed us a while later – top up...!! :surprise:

Having only mounted My new TomTom 5200 a few weeks before departing, was pleased that it was flagging up the French “Danger Zones” which normally means at some point along the road side, a grey box containing a speed camera... Not too much of an issue on the 130kmh (81mph) motorway, but very useful while on much slower urban speed limit areas.
(Plus, as discussed elsewhere, having set the TomTom to km’s while on the Euro Tunnel, it’s good that it displays what it thinks the current speed limit is – Which is useful when I’ve been chatting & have no idea!!)

Having driven past “Bourg-en-Bresse” the Motorway network splits to either head East to “Geneve”, or South West to “Lyon”. Now having spent enough money on the French Toll Network for one day and even put the top-up for a hour or so due to the threat of rain & doing 130km on a cloudy days does get tiresome..
We exited around “Amerieu-an-Bugey” and took the far more pleasant “D1504” top down towards “Chambery” Stopping to view the “Chat” Mountains and the valley below:

Before passing over the “Col du Chat” and stopping at this nice view point, for a cuppa overlooking the lake just North of “Chambery”

Heading on into the Alps, I was planning to stay at the winter sky resort of “Alpe-d-Huez” for our second night, but after it being very booked up due to a cycle event, I thought I’d try the ski resort of “La Toussuire” instead – I have to add that the number of hair pin bends to reach this resort, had no bearing on it’s choice - Cough...!! >:D

Now rather than taking the quickest route via “Villargondran” (Which was our exit route on Day_3)
the Sat-Nav was persuaded to route us via “Col due Glandon” @ 1924m and “Col de la Croix de Fer” @ 2067m

Luckily My Sister was happy with R171/V6 engine & Flappy Paddles verses the now empty mountain hair-pin bends of the Alps:

After a very long day of 452 miles & 8.75 hours of driving, finally made it safely to our Hotel...
(Averaged 51mph for the day, though while averaging 32mpg on the motorway it dropped to 28.5 for the hole day once the Alps kicked in – Can’t think why..??)

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Looking good! Thank you for pictures. Did you buy any vingettes or tags?

Thank god I still have two weeks vacation left to use this summer. Need to hit the road...

PS. Hows the cat doing or did he/she stayed home?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Spotting an otter was a great start to the day. Sounds an amazing drive. Thank you for taking the time to write it up for us.

·
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Day 3 - Road Trip Report:

Have to report that “La Toussuire” is very quite in early summer, but was very nice to drive around this Alpine Ski resort to take in the views on a sunny morning:

So today’s route is all about mountain passes (or “Cols” as the French like to call them), more Mountain roads, more hair pin bends, plus dramatic sweeping views as long as the cloud stays above us....!!

Having descended from the ~1600 m of “La Toussuire” (Lots of flappy paddle engine braking, as usaul...)
We worked our way South over the Alps, taking in one of the many Tour de France climbs of “Col du Telegraphe” (Alt: 1566m) which in its self is higher than “Ben Nevis” in Scotland...
Passed through the nice town of “Valloire” which would make a good coffee/lunch stop, but not on today’s schedule. Then started the major climb of “Col du Galibier”

This pass which has a few tight hair pin bends, but also lots of sweeping bends was most enjoyable R)
(...and the Tom-Tom mounted higher up helps enormously when pushing on, to warn how sharp the next blind bend is..!!)
Stopped for a photo stop two thirds of the way up & lots of snow again:

And finally the top of “Col du Galibier” along with other cars, motor cyclists & regular cyclists (Had to wait My turn to take this pic! ) – Also did the sort walk up to a view point, which is worth doing:

Having stopped for lunch, the next French mountain pass on today’s hit list was “Col d’Izoard” (Alt: 2360m)

Though the North side that We drove up (More hair pins & long sweeping bends as it happens!) was green with trees, the South side is very different to any other pass in this area:

And while stopped taking these pictures, You could hear & see the rocks tumbling down these scree slopes..!! :|

After passes through the town of “Guillestre” and just dodging a heavy shower across the valley, next on today’s list was “Col du Vars” (Alt: 2109m)
Stopping half way up – Always important to take a moment to appreciate the views, while on tour:

Came across this “Refuge Napoleon” bar/hotel for a Carbonated Caffeine drink stop, before the final push to the top:

Having then passing over the top of “Col de Vars” in the late afternoon sun-shine, still heading South, I was looking at staying in the town of “Barcelonnette” but while booking this trip back in February I couldn’t find anything that took My fancy, so instead climbed up more hair pin bends (such a hardship in a V6 SLK) towards the winter ski resort of “Pra-Loup”
“Pra-Loup” in spring/summer doesn’t look that great, but out Guest House just down a bit in “Molanes” had the potential for a great view in the morning sun-shine.

# SLK Driving Stat’s for today: 154 most enjoyable miles, hence the 21.4mpg and just under 7 hours of driving.

Have to add at this point that I received the first complain from My Sister on this trip..... :surprise:
“There is so much nice & varied scenery on this trip and by Day 3 She was rapidly running out of space on Her camera memory card...!!” :grin:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,377 Posts
"Running out of room on her card".

Yup, that's something to consider but remember this. After a while, you're going to think "uh huh, another mountain". Take some time at a rest stop and cull a lot of those pics.

You won't miss them.

I know on our W Euro tour, it got to the point that "uh huh, another church". Don't get me wrong, at the time it's just such a beautiful <fill in the blank> that you've just got to have a pic.

Go ahead, take the pic in the moment. But then, after a while go back and look at what you've got saved on the card. One mountain after another mountain after another mountain.

I really like the pics and narrative and really appreciate (and acknowledge) the enormous amount of time you're donatng to take us along on your trip.

Just giving some unasked for advice NOW for some time down the road when you really do come across a scene worthy of preservation and oh no, no more room on the card :wink:

Just speaking from past experience here. YMMV :tu:

·
Premium Member 2010 SLK300
139 Posts
I have been enjoying your trip with all the pictures as if I am taking it as well. Enjoy!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts