Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99230SLK with the Sports pkg. AMG 17"wheels/rims. I met another SLK driver, with the 16" wheels/rims, that I think were standard.

Pic in link.

Mercedes Benz SLK230 Used Car Pricing, Financing and Trade In Value

I liked his, & were talking of trading. My BF says bad idea, smaller wheels worse for resale. True? Is this simply a matter of personal taste? Any thoughts on this?

Does it affect the ride with the smaller wheels? I assume the 16 have the same bolt pattern (i should prob check...)

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
.... My BF says bad idea, smaller wheels worse for resale. True? Is this simply a matter of personal taste? Any thoughts on this?

Does it affect the ride with the smaller wheels? I assume the 16 have the same bolt pattern (i should prob check...)
1. BF is right about resale.

Question is: why do you want to switch from 17" to 16" rims? It may be the sports package has a stiffer suspension. Perhaps have someone double check on the integrity of your current suspension set-up.

2. Between R170's and R171's, the bolt pattern is the same.

3. Ride is softer, like a limousine, on the 16"

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,411 Posts
bad idea in my opinion, yes
affect ride, definately, plus mileage will go down (wheels have to turn more)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aesthetically pleasing purposes, only

Thank, guys.

I like the look of the 16in better. No reason as far as the suspension, ride... I think his wheels are prettier. (Don't shoot, I am still a girl, i just have 4 cars.....)

My AMG wheels look like crap, they are peeling around the MB symbol. His look good...

The guy I am talking to about switching has called me 4 times, so I assume that cost wise, it is in his favor, right?

·
19,407 Posts
The guy I am talking to about switching has called me 4 times, so I assume that cost wise, it is in his favor, right?
Yes.

You can always have your current rims re-finished or powder-coated (and to a colour and finish of your choice to boot).

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,411 Posts
is the other driver a member of this forum? why not?

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,527 Posts

·
19,407 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The brakes on the AMG models are made for 17" or larger rims & a 16" rim will not fit over them.
We are talking about the 230 SLK w/ sports pack, right?

Crap, I was wondering about that! Wonder why the Marine BF didn't think of that? :tazz:

·
Registered
393 Posts
bad idea in my opinion, yes
affect ride, definately, plus mileage will go down (wheels have to turn more)
I'll respectfully suggest that, as to mileage in particular, I think you are addressing if the outer diameter (OD)/circumference of the tire changes, not the wheel (rim) diameter. :burnout:

And even that isn't always true. Your speedo essentially counts revs/time, with a smaller tire; it will take more revs to go from A to B - but your odometer will tell you that you went further than you previously did and it would take you more time to boot. (If you keep your speedo on the same "speed" before and after.)

So doing the calculation from the information the car is giving you is problematic.

To be very precise, you’d need to measure the performance of the car from outside; or at least to compare a before and after performance over a distance you are familiar with or can independently determine.

If you were timing the car from the outside, a smaller tire outer diameter would be like installing a slightly "higher" performance final gear in the car. But given everything else, I'd say nominally there would only be small "efficiency" type differences.

The total energy the car expends is based on the equation, Work = Force X Distance, and those are remaining constant. (More of a factor would be where the car runs most efficiently - engine speed, mechanical & aero drag, etc. - and a tire size change could effect that positively or negatively depend on the actual car variables.)

Math aside . . . . Generally I like to "see" larger OD tires on a car since they "fill up" the wheel wells just that little bit better.

(Though they obviously have to fit over the wheel workings (brakes, joints, etc.) regardless.)

:Beer:

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,527 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.