Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've done literally an hour of searching the entire forum and web for the answer to this - is there switched power in the dome light of the SLK 320?? I'm trying to install a rearview camera/mirror (monitor in mirror) and would love to get power to it from the domelight assembly. Anyone have any pointers?!

THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cannot be a huge help, but I noticed the SOS button lights up when they key is on. Maybe start there?
Thanks! That's a good idea. I was going to tap into the actual lights but realized those are constant signal (can turn lights on when car is off). SOS makes sense. Was thinking of all tapping into the garage door opener as well - it doesn't work when the car is off, so I assume it's switched power. Now I just need a multimeter and test each wire.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Thanks! That's a good idea. I was going to tap into the actual lights but realized those are constant signal (can turn lights on when car is off). SOS makes sense. Was thinking of all tapping into the garage door opener as well - it doesn't work when the car is off, so I assume it's switched power. Now I just need a multimeter and test each wire.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the garage door opener.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I tapped into the glove box light .
Also, while installing a new radio,I ran the switched power into the glovebox,and into a 2x lighter and 2x usb gadget my son found in a dollar store!
Now I run a lighter adapter cord out to my phone when driving which keeps it charged.I can also run a Freedom Pop hotspot in the usb and have hard wired my Valentine one into the power in the glove box.
I still have original lighter socket free to make tea with an element......

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tapped into the glove box light .
Also, while installing a new radio,I ran the switched power into the glovebox,and into a 2x lighter and 2x usb gadget my son found in a dollar store!
Now I run a lighter adapter cord out to my phone when driving which keeps it charged.I can also run a Freedom Pop hotspot in the usb and have hard wired my Valentine one into the power in the glove box.
I still have original lighter socket free to make tea with an element......
Whoa! That sounds fancy. If I run to the glovebox, it means running power through the headliner above the front windshield, down the pillar, and then into the glovebox. Definitely doable, but I really want to tap into the dome light somehow due to ease. My wires are already set up in there, just need to know the wire! I'll probably pick up a multimeter tonight and see if I can find one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.