Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
*Registered
2004 SLK200K
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This forum helped me a lot with the information it contains, so I managed to save money and time. Now it's time to provide information that could help others.

PROBLEM : My vario roof occasionally fails to open/close after the trunk is raised. The trunk opens, then the hard top doesn't follow - there's just the sound of a motor whirring but nothing happens.
Sometimes it doesn't work at all other times it has very long delays and it becomes frustrating... especially if clouds appear in the sky. :)

SOLUTION : 25 EUR in my country, the switch unit A 171 820 76 10.
Replacement time: 15 minutes through the trunk, through the visiting space on the right side. A little care must be taken during installation to prevent the plastic parts from breaking.

In the pictures below you will see the installation steps.

STEP 1 : Buy the switch unit A 171 820 76 10. :)

Rectangle Font Tire Ticket Number
Gas Auto part Bumper Rectangle Automotive exterior
Wood Floor Flooring Material property Gas
Rectangle Air gun Trigger Composite material Gun accessory
Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior Gadget Gas

STEP 2:

open the trunk and on the right you will notice a visiting space. Inside at the bottom attached to the cylinder that operates the trunk opening is located S119

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior Bumper Rim

STEP 3 :
At the top of the cylinder has a clip that you unscrew and remove with the electrical connection outside.
Bag Luggage and bags Musical instrument accessory Composite material Auto part

STEP 4 :
Unscrew the connection from the old one and connect the new one and then attach it to the cylinder, but be careful not to break the plastic parts.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

·
*Registered
2004 SLK200K
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After assembling the new piece, I studied the old piece a bit. It is not broken, no piece of it is missing. The problem seems to be the contact surface that may be oxidized so that it is imperfect contact. It can be solved with contact spray, but it's still a Mercedes and it deserved a new part that won't cause problems in the future. Below are pictures of the broken part in detail to get an idea if you want to repair it before buying a new one. The circuit can be easily checked if it closes or opens with a power source and a light bulb.

Wood Cable Electrical wiring Wire Heat-shrink tubing
Wood Trigger Flooring Hardwood Gas
Wood Hardwood Bumper Tints and shades Automotive exterior

And after all the work ...
I went out to take the test. Everything works properly without delays on both opening and closing vario roof.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200
9 Posts
Thanks for this goganu. I'm having the exact same issues as you - roof will sometimes stay stuck open. Dashboard lights up, trunk opens and I hear noise, but nothing else happens. I have to leave the car sat for sometimes 10 minutes, sometime 3 or 4 hours before It will work properly again. Not ideal in british weather!! I have just order the part direct from Mercedes for £20.40 (Breakers on ebay wanted £40 2nd hand). I'm collecting the part on Friday, will fit this weekend and post back here how I get on!!

·
*Registered
2004 SLK200K
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for this goganu. I'm having the exact same issues as you - roof will sometimes stay stuck open. Dashboard lights up, trunk opens and I hear noise, but nothing else happens. I have to leave the car sat for sometimes 10 minutes, sometime 3 or 4 hours before It will work properly again. Not ideal in british weather!! I have just order the part direct from Mercedes for £20.40 (Breakers on ebay wanted £40 2nd hand). I'm collecting the part on Friday, will fit this weekend and post back here how I get on!!
I hope my information helps you.
But it was good to check your S119 (if the plastic is broken or does not make contact, broken electrical wire) before ordering a new one.
These Vario Roof may have similar symptoms but different resolutions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts