Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!

After i860 did some mods to my car remotely, it's way, way, way faster. This is exacerbating the handling issues these cars are known for. In the past, my research shows that installing performance struts seems to ruin the ride. At least, 90% of the people that did it hated it.

I'm lucky as my car does not have the sport suspension so I don't have the 19" tires or whatever size it is those ones came with. So I have some extra cushioning. I've thought about it carefully and talked to my mechanic about it and we both think that installing sport suspension sway bars may make a pretty good difference. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how much thicker the sport suspension sway bars are then the non-sport ones. Probably an odd question but it would be nice to be able to find out. Even if someone has a sport suspension R171 and could measure the bars with a digital caliper it would be ideal as I could compare them to mine quite easily.

Can anyone help? Btw, this could be a big leap forward for a relatively inexpensive handling improvement.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For some reason I thought the sport suspension meant taller tires. The AMG bar is an interesting idea. Any chance you could measure the diameter of the front and rear bar on your car for me ? :)

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Couple of questions...does anyone know the part numbers for both AMG bars ? (front & rear)
I'd like to order some in but not sure whether to go with the Sport Suspension bars or AMG.
The best way I can figure it out would be if I could find out the bar diameter of the Sport Suspension bars and AMG suspension bars.

I'd be willing to tip someone if they could find out the bar diameters (front and rear) with a digital caliper....should be relatively easy...😊

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update, NM, I was able to find out the numbers for both AMG bars (front and rear) and on the rear you also need the two bushings. It looks like the end links used are the same for both the SLK350 and the AMG and from the pictures, both bars look identical so my guess is that you they will bolt in without issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts