Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered 1998 SLK230
Discussion Starter #1
I've just purchased a "Designo" SLK interior. Here : Mercedes SLK R170 DESIGNO SEATS, DOOR CARDS, STEERING WHEEL, MATS, GEAR KNOB | eBay Please ignore that price, though .....
There is obvious wear to the bolster on the drivers side. I plan to purchase some dye which would be colour matched to the seats. However, in the mean-time, I'd like to change over the seat body's from the drivers side to the passengers side and visa-versa. I'm referring to both the seat back and base. That way the inner, unworn bolster's/bases are seen on entry and improve the general appearance. The worn faces are now on the more concealed inner part of the seat. I've already done this to another type of car that I own (Audi A2), but only the bases because there are airbags incorporated into the seats.This isn't a problem with the SLK seats .... The "Designo" seats are electrically powered and heated.
So has any member had experience of separating the seat substance (leather/padding, etc) from the frame/runners? Is there any location on the Internet with suitable information? I'm sure that performing this simple action would benefit MANY SLK World members?

David

Registered 2002 SLK320
Hi David,

I don't know exactly where now, but there have been a post or two about this not eons ago on SLK World R170, I actually contributed to one of those threads ;)

HTH,

Premium Member 2002 SLK320
Yes, I looked up one or two. Most of them were about adjustment, but as the OP's seats are electric the comments (such as can you adjust reach and height when swapped) don't seem to apply. I think electric adjustable seats in an R170 are not all that common and that wasn't discussed on the threads I found. Happy to be corrected.

Registered 1998 SLK230
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response(s) I knew that I'd at least get one from Dave2302! :) Well my way of thinking is that if something has had to be constructed, then it must be able to be taken apart! So the metal frame, motors, wiring had at some point been ready to have the seat base/back ready to be attached. My concern is that if I attempt to separate components using simple logic, then there is the possibility of inflicting some damage in my efforts to achieve this. However, if I can follow a set of instructions then this is a far better way to proceed.Using the Internet, there's limited information. I'm feeling that I'll have to investigate and as long as I don't use excessive force, I'll get this done. As I've mentioned, there's so much to be gained in doing this ..... Any other input from the Forum?

David

Registered 2008 SLK280
Are you sure you have bought them - still a live listing.

The seat covers have different part numbers for left and right seats so some difference there.

The base is the same part number.

Seems a try it and see.

Registered 2002 SLK320
Hi David,

What I did was to take apart one of my old seats ;)

I stripped them so I could just keep the motors and switches etc, that way, if I ever need to, I now know how they come apart and if I'd broken any hidden clips etc it didn't matter ;)

I do remember that the side plastics are held by fixing bolts that need accessing under the actual Leather / Cloth Covers, which is the opposite of most MB Seats where you remove the Plastics first then the upholstery.
Also the Seat Back Trim you kinda have to turn it partially inside out (upwards) to get at some bits to release as well .............

I honestly can't remember much more than that ;)

I definitely posted on a thread here about it, but was early to mid last year IIRC and I have no idea where ;)

HTH

Registered 1998 SLK230
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This thread had two objectives : To obtain knowledge/help from club members and also to give useful information to benefit those very same members.
So on to the second part of that statement ! I'm sure that almost anyone who has an SlK with even reasonable mileage would look at the two seats and would be able to observe that there would be a very great benefit in being able to exchange their positions. The almost "new" inner squabs of the passenger seat now become on full view as the driver enters the car and the worn part is now on the inner section of the passenger door. All round, it is SO beneficial! Well, here's some very good news for some SLK owners. It's for those of you who have electrically operated seats! I've been able, with a little ingenuity, to change over the side-plate that has the electrical controls mounted onto it. The seat belt mountings can also be transposed as the bolts are the same. This means that there is no need to dismantle the seat and the end result is just magnificent! The passenger seat looked hardly used and that is what greets me when I get into my car. The passenger door isn't TOO bad, either, because the previously inner bolster from the drivers seat is now on the outer part of the passenger seat. I'm in the process of restoring the leather, anyway. I've obtained an exact match from a Firm called "Furniture Clinic" . The paint code was on a label under the seat and was Designo code X35, light brown.
I was just about to say that mechanically operated seats can't be changed over like the electrics. However, I've had a look at things and I'm not so sure of that, now! So I recon that I could do even that! The only control that WOULD have to change location is the backrest angle control knob. I think that it isn't a problem, though ....
I hope that this has been interesting to members. The corona virus has left me with time on my hands, that's for sure!

David
P.S.
I forgot to ask this : There is an additional socket, only on the passenger seat. It's a yellow, four pin socket and a plug with three wires connects to it. The wire colours are brown, white and pink with green bands. Now because I've transposed the seats, I can re-route that plug and connections to the new position which is now the driver's seat. So what is that connection, why was it only on the (previously) passenger's seat and does it matter that it will now be part of the driver's seat wiring? Thanks

David

Registered 2002 SLK320
The corona virus has left me with time on my hands, that's for sure!
Glad to hear you are making good progress with your car :)

Me too, at this rate another week or so and I can road test my V8 R170 Beast 馃槇

Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
I don't know for sure, but the extra wiring, passenger vs driver side, is probably related to either 1) the passenger-present sensor or 2) the child seat sensor. If you want to take a toddler with you, you'll have to hold them, and their seat of course, in your lap :)

Registered 2002 SLK320
Yes, the extra wiring is connected to Airbag Module, and is for Seat Occupancy, so it covers both functions that @efair mentions ;)

Registered 1998 SLK230
Discussion Starter #12
So are there any safety implications to it now being on the drivers side? (and nothing on the passenger side). It will always be detected as having a passenger ..... I don't think that it would be possible to remove the detector and fit it into the other seat that is now in that position, but I may be wrong. It might require the whole seat to be dismantled!

David

Registered 2002 SLK320
Hi David,

You will either need to fit an Emulator to the passenger side Wiring Plug, which will keep the AB SRS light off, or swap the Seat Occupancy Mat, so it is in the correct, (passenger side), Seat ;)

HTH,

Registered 1998 SLK230
Discussion Starter #14
I need help to understand all of this .... Sorry! Previously, with or without a passenger, I don't recall there being any difference and no lights appeared either way? Is that correct? So why should there be any change, now? With only a driver in the car, then it would now appear to the monitoring system (passenger occupancy detection) that there IS a passenger present. So what? It is hard to see what difference that makes and how it affects the car's operation? Would it be very difficult to remove that occupancy mat? Do I really need to do that? I've also noted something strange. I temporarily powered up the first seat and found that certain, but not all, operations were reversed. For example, the backrest moved correctly but the seat forward/backward movement was reversed! So I'm now finding out which wires (positive/negative) need to be changed over so that all actions are correct in the expected direction from the control knob movement. I'm not sure why this should be?

David

Registered 2002 SLK320
Hi David,

With an Occupancy Mat (originally designed for the passenger Seat) this should be connected to the AB Module, so if it isn't, (or if the Seat Occupancy Mat goes faulty common problem), then the Airbag / SRS Light will come on indicating a Fault, and thus fail an MOT Test.

If you don't have a Light On, does your Cars Airbag / SRS light come on and extinguish at Ignition On Engine Start ?
It should do, if it doesn't someone has somehow masked the Fault, read the AB Module with SDS, check under the Carpet to see if there is an Emulator plugged in, that is a common bodge to put the light out ;)

As for the Seat Motors, perhaps the +ve and Earths are reversed Left and Right side ;)

HTH,

Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
I think the main risk is that your airbag on the passenger side will deploy in an accident. This isn't be a safety issue if the seat is empty or occupied by an adult, but if a child (or a car seat and a child) is present it would be dangerous for them.

Registered 1998 SLK230
Discussion Starter #17
I think the main risk is that your airbag on the passenger side will deploy in an accident. This isn't be a safety issue if the seat is empty or occupied by an adult, but if a child (or a car seat and a child) is present it would be dangerous for them.
Yes, that was what I'd been thinking. The occupancy mat limits the airbag deployment to just the driver if no passenger is detected. I'm almost always accompanied, so full deployment in an accident would have been required. I've investigated the seat construction and to access the mat would be a major task! AND on both seats, too!.So unless something crops up when I've installed these seats, I'll just live with things as they are.Also, if I had fitted an emulator, then am I right in thinking that the passenger airbag would never had deployed in an accident? I wouldn't have been happy with that!

David

Registered 2002 SLK320
if I had fitted an emulator, then am I right in thinking that the passenger airbag would never had deployed in an accident?
Yes, exactly, and that is why I hate the bloomin' things with a passion, they are supposed to be sold only for "testing use", jeez what a load of :poop: .................

Plug the Car into SDS or in the case of AB, even the "humble" Snap-On etc, and it will tell you exactly why the Airbag Light is on !!

Whenever I buy a Car now, I always check to see if some darned fool has plugged one in :mad: , my partner, she is the one who usually sits in that Passenger Seat, and god forbid if we ever hit something hard and it didn't deploy ....................
Of course that's the main reason I only drive like a total hooligan when I'm on my own on empty roads ;)

HTH,

Registered 1998 SLK230
Discussion Starter #19

Plug the Car into SDS or in the case of AB, even the "humble" Snap-On etc, and it will tell you exactly why the Airbag Light is on !!
HTH,
I've never said that the Airbag light IS on? It has just passed an M.O.T. .... However, if there are any problems I'll know where to look ....

David

Registered 2002 SLK320
Hi David,

I'm not saying your AB Light is on ;)

I'm saying that the sole reason these Emulators are allowed to be sold in UK is for Diagnosis, but IF the purchaser just did a diagnosis, the purchaser would know why THEIR light was on ;)

Apologies for the confusion ;)

HTH,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts