Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

My '06 SLK 350 does not have the sport suspension package. It's got 85k on it and I'm quite certain the struts/shocks are shot. I noticed on the ferry the other day that the car appears to be floating on its springs. On higher speed corners with peaks on them the body wants to go one way and the chassis maintains the line :wink: I also find I have to nail the brakes to plant the body at times.

Rather then go with stock suspension I was thinking about adding the sport suspension with a twist. Looking through the parts catalog shows struts for the sport package. That got me thinking about springs. I see that Mercedes has a nice chart for choosing springs based on what options you have. From that I can deduce that I can install heavier duty springs by choosing ones designed for cars with all the options.

So my thoughts are, change it over to sport suspension shocks/struts and then use the stiffest springs they offer. I'm not after the absolute best handling car - I would just like to see it much flatter in the corners. I would not be surprised if even just replacing the work struts alone would help a lot.

What do you guys think of the plan? Is there s sway bar as well or should this be added?

·
Registered 2012 SLK 55 w/P30
3,421 Posts
When I upgraded my shocks on my old R171 I noticed a significant improvement in handling. Please note all I upgraded was the shocks I did not touch the springs.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I upgraded my shocks on my old R171 I noticed a significant improvement in handling. Please note all I upgraded was the shocks I did not touch the springs.
Was that with OE shocks?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
486 Option Part Numbers

Hi guys!

I have an '06 SLK 350 and would like to address the suspension in the near future. It does not have the 486 Sport Suspension option. When I go into EPC to look up parts it uses the VIN of my car - which does not have the Sports Suspension.

So how does one look up the parts for an '06 when I don't have a VIN w/Sport Suspension?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,427 Posts
Use the first three letters as usual (eg WDB)
Then only enter the first 6 digits (eg 171xxx).
That way you get a general table, rather than specific to what is fitted.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Darn that Bilstein outfit!

My B6 struts are on back order until the middle of November. Until then, I won't be able to complete my move from the Sport Pkg suspension to Standard.

As far as a choice of springs, you'll regret putting in the stiffest springs available. I have the Sport Pkg, and the springs are plenty stiff! For further insight, read B6 or B8?.>:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts