Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there :) am back with my longstanding problem hoping someone can relate to it this time :Beer:

the supercharger clutch sometimes it engages normally and sometimes it doesnt and i can feel it engage and disengage WHILE driving sometimes it remains for the whole journey and i can undertake smoothely when i am crusing i can kick the pedal and have boost and undertake smoothly and sometimes i kick the pedal and nothing happens ( even the rpm doesnt change unless i shifts to a lower gear ) and of course it return on its own without even turning the car off and on :S this is driving me mad..
can the gap between the clutch and the pulley make this ? because i think its a bit large ... or can low SC oil contribute ? because i spilled some when changing the bearing 3 months ago
i read codes and it gave me camshaft hall sensor error and o2 sensor ...
the fron camshaft magnet was leaking before and now it stopped on its own and all it has is dry oil around it and on the connector , maybe this caused the code ?
and there is something weird when the supercharger is working the cruise control does work and when the car is down on power and the supercharger is not engaging the cruise control doesnt work !! does this relate ?
like can a sensor turn on and off on its own without turning off and on the car and the ecu ??

the bottom line , is my problem mechanical ( from the S/C itself ) or electric ?

plz any help would be useful :hail: and sry for my english

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
there is another thing .... can this be because of the belt ? the small pulley above and to the right of the supercharger looks funny with vertical black oil marks on it and i found oil on the top of the rof the comes out of it .... is this the belt tensioner ? sometime when the supercharger clutch isnt engaging if i turn the AC on it might engage ! i dont know if its coincidental or related ....... I just dont know where to start , hope someone will help me quickly :)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,853 Posts
do you have a clk or an slk? your profile says clk

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Hey there :) am back with my longstanding problem
Who were you last time? These two are your first posts!

The supercharger clutch sometimes it engages normally and sometimes it doesnt and i can feel it engage and disengage WHILE driving
This means that the clutch is probably OK, mechanically. If it was slipping, the supercharger would run at reduced effectiveness, and not switch in and out.

can the gap between the clutch and the pulley make this ? because i think its a bit large ... or can low SC oil contribute ? because i spilled some when changing the bearing 3 months ago
I don't think low oil would be detected by the controller, and so would not cause the SC to cut out. (In the end, if the level is too low, then the SC would fail)

i read codes and it gave me camshaft hall sensor error and o2 sensor ...
the fron camshaft magnet was leaking before and now it stopped on its own and all it has is dry oil around it and on the connector , maybe this caused the code ?
The camshaft sensor is on the rear of the engine, so would not be affected by the leak from the camshaft magnet on the front. However, the electrical connector for the SC is under the camshaft magnet, so would benefit from cleaning. Since it is a powerful electrical load, it is downstream of a solenoid, and so will not cause a fault code to be reported.
Hence the codes are a different issue!

and there is something weird when the supercharger is working the cruise control does work and when the car is down on power and the supercharger is not engaging the cruise control doesnt work !! does this relate ?
Very strange. Does the speed limiting control work in the same way as the cruise control?
One option; power rail to the K40 module might be insufficient (probably high resistance connector, which normally introduces heat, and will melt the solder joints) If this is true, then when the SC relay is working, it takes more power, and prevents the cruise control being active, and when the SC is not working, it is not taking power, so enough power remains to operate the cruise control.

like can a sensor turn on and off on its own without turning off and on the car and the ecu ??

the bottom line , is my problem mechanical ( from the S/C itself ) or electric ?
When a sensor fails, the controller has to be aware of it, and so *will* report a code.
Stepping up and down during driving, and not reporting a code, is clearly a secondary electrical drive, and hence something downstream of a relay (including the power stage of that relay).

plz any help would be useful :hail: and sry for my english
No worries about your English.

Try re-soldering the K40, and clean the connectors across the top, have to be the first step!
Second step si to check and clean the connector under the camshaft magnet; carefully, since the plastic is brittle with age, so observe the wire colours before pulling the connector, so you can connect them the right way around afterwards, even if the connector breaks.

Let us know what you find and what effect these two steps have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts