Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the pulley is on and works fantastic engine feels move responsive smoother and more power would definitely recommend this,you need to keep the clutch plugged in for the ECU but just relocate it,I out it by the air box and have screwed it down will try find a cap to cover the centre bit.happy days

Attachments

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Hi Chris,
Does it just use the standard sized belt?

Cheers

Dez

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. Hoping some of you original posters are still following this thread. Just picked up a 2000 SLK230. Still trying to sort out whether it has the M62 SC or the M65. Anyway, there are smaller pulleys available for either one. But all the replacement smaller pulleys involve elimination of the magnetic clutch (at least making it non-functional). So...I’m thinking there’s a reason why MB set them up originally with the clutch and wondering what might be the downside of eliminating it. I don’t know what sort of logic they used in the control of the thing (SC off at idle, off at light load, on on acceleration and under load???). In any case, without the clutch, the thing will be spinning all the time - even at idle. I gather those who have done this haven’t experienced any driveability issues? Poor idle, other? The SC will log more time than if the clutch were giving it a “rest” at times. Shorter SC life?

I note that the other option is larger crank pulley - which would let the clutch stay in play - but it’s a lot more money.

Any feedback welcome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts