Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I have an observation and a question about my 1999 SLK 230. This is my first MB and have only owned it for a month and I must say I am quite impressed. Yesterday was the last chance I had to take my car out for a quick drive. The cold weather is coming in Canada and I have to put the car to bed for the winter. I live on the outskirts of the city so it only takes me 5 minutes to get out onto a long stretch of flat, straight and quiet highway. While driving I thought I should see what this thing can do. So, needless to say the pedal went to the mat. WOW, didn't take long until I was well past 100 MPH and still pulling hard, at 120 it shifted into overdrive and kept going. It still had a little left at 145 but I was quickly catching up to traffic so I had to let up. I knew this car was fast but I did not dream it would ever go north of 140. This morning I told one of my co-workers what I had done and all he could do was laugh and shake his head in disbelief that you could get so much out of a 4 cylinder engine. I liked the car when I bought it but am totally impressed with it now, definitely a keeper for a while.
My question is, At just off idle I have a rattle coming from the super charger area, when you rev it up it goes away. I can hear it in the cabin when driving as well. After some internet investigation I thought it might be the supercharger coupler but after thinking on it a while I wondered why it would be that, when the clutch is not turning at that rpm hence the supercharger would not be turning to make the noise. My clutch is working properly as far as I can tell, it is stopped until you rev the engine and then you can see the clutch engage. I do not have a stethoscope to confirm that the noise is coming from the super charger. I will not be able to do anymore with this until next spring but any advice I can get would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Founding Member 2006
108,939 Posts
sound like this?

For Ipad users:

·
Founding Member 2006
108,939 Posts
check cats. and exhaust pipe work and brackets

1 - 5 of 5 Posts