Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Anyone in the Southwest area interested in an informal get-together? I'm in Columbus NM. Columbus isn't exactly a hive of touring activity. I'm thinking Roswell.Yeah, I know. But a couple of guys broke their Porsche rallye car in Columbus and remarked they might as well have landed a spaceship at the Fina station. It got me thinking: lets drive our SLK's to a place where we won't be too conspicuous. :grin:We can try to get a group rate at a hotel. Maybe a group tour to the crash site and some great photo ops.

RS your VP.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I could come Mike........
I would love to see the crash site and see all the alien related things in the area.
I just love all things ufo.
It is on my bucket list........maybe one day?
I have a casita (small apartment) attached to the hangar open to all SLK guests or visiting pilots. You're welcome any time.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I live near San Antonio and would be up for the get together, depending on my work schedule. I travel a bit for my job, so if the dates for the get together don't conflict, i'm all up for it. Roswell is a good day's drive down I-10 and then US 285. Let me know when you set up dates so I can try to deconflict my work schedule...G

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, two days in Roswell taught me some facts about the town. First, its a pretty run-of-the-mill small town where the Saturday afternoon entertainment seems to be driving up and down Main street. Secondly, its something of a disappointment. The major industry is dairy and the major product is mozzarella cheese.

Yeah, mozzarella cheese. About a million pounds daily.

Third, as you probably know, the alleged landing didn't happen near Roswell but at a ranch about 70 miles north of town. Rancher Mack Brazell discovered the debris and came to Roswell to report it to the sheriff.

Most all the accommodations are tourist-standard and some capitalize on UFO-themed schlock. Some of the schlock is nonetheless fun, but I don't think worth a rallye. Sorry to disappoint but maybe there's a better place to meet up.

Oh, and avoid the Applebee's at all costs.:|

A few photos to show the schlock fest. . The UFO museum is much as you would expect. Even Coca-Cola thinks aliens drink Coke. The UFO-themed McDonald's makes me wonder if there's a reason for all the cattle mutilations. No thanks.

Yes, Perk-n-Jerk is a thing. Coffee-based drinks and beef jerky. I recommend the Mocha Glacier.:laugh:

I took a longer way back on highway 54 through Cloudcroft. I'm glad I skipped breakfast to stop in Big Daddy's Diner. The Mountain Man breakfast could be shared with someone else. Coffee is served the way it should be, in a ceramic mug, black and hot.
Beautiful scenic mountainous drive and the SLK loved it. The scenic view is Highway 54 coming down into Alamogordo. Highway 10 is a rough and ugly interstate with no redeeming features, except letting me go like a bat outta Hell just to get off it.
In short, I'd rather not see SLK'ers drive a goodly distance to be disappointed.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts