Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be buying a c2003 R170 SLK320 as soon as my broken arm heals well enough for me to drive an auto box. In the meantime, I've been reading this forum in some depth. I need to do as much maintenance as possible myself, so will buy a diagnostic tool. Will this be suitable, please?

Autel Scanner

Any comments more than welcome, including the ones telling me I'm an idiot and have completely misunderstood what's required.

Regards,

Anthony

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Nice looking tool.
I have a collection of OBD2 readers, since I have a 2001 diesel Renault, and although it has a OBD2 port, I have never got anything useful out of it. (Not surprising, since OBD2 was only activated on diesels in 2005, and this car would be OBD1)

But your 2003 SLK should be OBD2, so will usefully connect to this tool.

Do let us know if you manage to get something useful, including VIN and any real-time data.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, most definitely suitable. I have the top of the range MD802, simply because it covers every make of car rather than a few European ones and I planned on making a few quid back on it by lending it out. This particular range of Autel readers cover the entire car, I was particularly impressed with the Vario Roof code reading, it even told me I had a loose connection on one particular switch. I have since reset all the codes and I will check them again in a couple of months time to see what it throws out again as I am sure several of the codes were stored ones that haven't been cleared previously. Yes, it does do real time data too, but I haven't figured out what to do with that bit yet! However, I connected the reader to my Rover 75 and it showed a misfire on pot 5.... I wondered why it had become sluggish!

A couple of weeks ago, I checked my mates Audi A4 with it as he had a problem with his folding roof and hasn't been able to use it for most of the summer. After reading the code, I reset it and hey presto the roof worked fine again! He was happy, having saved a fortune at a garage and I was very happy, having made lots of use of the beer tokens!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.