Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered '07 SLK55
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to use a vacuum pump to suck oil out of the SLK55? There is no dipstick so I was wondering if it was still possible through the fill cap? I found out today the car I recently bought is at 8.7qt (Warm) and I need to reduce the oil level.

I've tried searching but could not find any good info on how to do this. Most people seem to go to the dealer to have this done, but tomorrow is Sunday and the MB dealer here on the island is not open for service on weekends.

If I can't use a pump, what is the best way to pull out a bit of oil to reach a safe oil level?

·
Registered '07 SLK55
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Solved the issue. Borrowed a friend's Mityvac extractor, and also did more digging and found the golden post as far as I'm concerned. I looked briefly in the engine bay myself but didn't find anything like a dipstick, but after reading this post, I found the tube in the back of the engine with a plastic red cover with no markings on it. Pulled the cover off and it was engine oil.

Anyway, pumped about a quart of oil out of that tube and I'm now sitting here:

Here is the post I found:
Really? Please describe the problem. Here's how I used mine:
1) Use the little adapter to connect mini black plastic (the smallest tube) tubing to big red tubing.
2) Stick one end of black plastic tube, down the dipstick tube at rear of engine...all the way down until you hit bottom--may take a little wiggling.
3) Other end of red tube which is attached to black tube, gets stuck in the top hole of the pump.
4) Attach other tube to bottom hole.
5) As you start pumping, hold the pump as close to the ground as possible. You're using gravity to your advantage here. If the pump is below the engine crankcase, it'll be easier.
6) Start pumping slowly. It will take maybe 10-15 pumps to create enough suction to get things moving. If you feel a lot of resistance when pumping, you may be plugging the end of the black tube. Pull it out of the engine just a little.
7) The oil will come out in spurts sputtering and gurgling, not a consistent flow. You will make progress however!
from thread: http://www.slkworld.com/ask-dansslk/12007-oil-overfill-reduce-oil-level-message.html

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Glad it's sorted.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,217 Posts
ahhhh, the 'search' function! Ahhhh!

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Sorry to tell you, but you can not remove all the oil from the 55 by sucking it from the dipstick tube.
The 55 has two drain plugs to remove all the oil.
To do it correctly: remove both drain plugs; remove the filter; install the new filter; install the drain plugs; fill with new oil.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Sorry to tell you, but you can not remove all the oil from the 55 by sucking it from the dipstick tube.
To do it correctly: remove both drain plugs; remove the filter; install the new filter; install the drain plugs; fill with new oil.
For oil change, yes, need to do it properly. I think he was asking about removing some engine oil to bring it to the correct level (from mild overfill situation).

·
Registered '07 SLK55
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eddy is right. I only needed to reduce the oil level, not drain it for a change. I plan to drain completely through the plugs when I do change my oil.

·
Registered
29 Posts
this is how I did it, thanks to posts from forum members.

·
Registered '07 SLK55
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you even read the thread?

Just an FYI, after draining the overfill from previous owner via suction, I've since changed the oil by draining completely from the plugs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.