Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Have anyone tried substitute halogen H7 55W bulb with LED? One of my cornering halogen light bulb burned out and I was thinking of replacing the halogen bulb with LED. I absolutely hate halogen bulbs because they are hot, don't last long and explodes. It's a real P.I.T.A. to get access to this light bulb in my SLK 350 and I am hoping LED replacement will last almost a lifetime.

My car is 2013 SLK 350 with Intelligent Headlight System.

Thank you,
Peter

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,892 Posts
any external bulb must be canbus error free fyi

What are CAN-bus Error Free LED bulbs?
CAN-bus Error Free LED bulbs are LED bulbs that have resistors that are internally/externally attached. European vehicles are the typical candidates for these types of LED bulbs as the electrical system on these European cars have sensors that detect whether the light is working or not. Since LED bulbs draw far less power than the stock filament bulbs, the vehicle’s computer may think that the bulb is out so it'll throw an "error message" or "bulb out" warning the driver that the light is out; thus the name "error free". The resistor’s job is to mimic the power draw of the stock incandescent bulbs to trick the computer to think that the bulbs are drawing the same rate of power so the vehicle does not throw any error messages.

Do I need error free bulbs?
If you own a European vehicle, you will most likely need error free bulbs. Many European vehicles such as Audi, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Range Rover, Jaguar and many more use a CAN-bus (controller area network) system that monitors the activity of lights on the vehicle to detect if they are operating or not.

Since LED bulbs draw far less power than the stock bulbs, the vehicle’s can-bus system detects the low power draw and determines that the LED bulb is faulty. To stop this from happening, error free LED bulbs have resistors that are built into the light which mimic the power draw of the stock bulb which stops the error message from occurring.

Error free LED bulbs are most commonly used for exterior lights such as the turn signals, head lights, parking lights, license plate lights and more. Interior lights typically do not need error free bulbs, but for certain vehicles, it is required.

·
Registered
717 Posts
In short you can't because you'll get errors or it'll burn the housing, the only way it works is with an external heat sink that maintains the seal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts