Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I left the top down and a monsoon rolled in in the middle of the night dropping about .5" of rain. Now I am in deep trouble, as the car won't start. Not a sound when I turn the key. Battery is OK as the lights still go on. Any help greatly appreciated. I'm going to try and figure out how to put the top up manually, as I have done that once before. At least it will help it start to dry out. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Half inch of rain here is a drizzle a monsoon is 5 to 7 inches!
It is going to rain all day and all next week! Not usual for this neck of the woods. I was surprised that that small amount of rain would render the car inoperable. I'm trying to figure out how to get the top up, but the hex wrench that came with the car won't fit into the hole. I'm probably doing something wrong, but the CD changer is in the way.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Oh, man, I hate that for you. Water and SLK interiors don't mix well. My mom spilled water on her console in her Benz a few years back and it cost her thousands to get repaired. I hope that's not the case for you.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Last night I left the top down and a monsoon rolled in in the middle of the night dropping about .5" of rain. Now I am in deep trouble, as the car won't start. Not a sound when I turn the key. Battery is OK as the lights still go on. Any help greatly appreciated. I'm going to try and figure out how to put the top up manually, as I have done that once before. At least it will help it start to dry out. :D
Sorry to hear your trouble. I think 1st you need to get the codes read to know what are the possible problems.
There's a way to raise the roof manually. Check your manual starting on page 221. If you don't have one then download pdf from MB:
http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/ownersmanual/2004_slk230_slk320_slk32amg.pdf
I'm not sure how you can raise the quarter panel windows manually though if there's no ignition and power to the windows and roof switch =(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear your trouble. I think 1st you need to get the codes read to know what are the possible problems.
There's a way to raise the roof manually. Check your manual starting on page 221. If you don't have one then download pdf from MB:
http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/ownersmanual/2004_slk230_slk320_slk32amg.pdf
I'm not sure how you can raise the quarter panel windows manually though if there's no ignition and power to the windows and roof switch =(
Thank you. I am trying to raise the roof manually, but the hex wrench is just a fraction too big and I don't have another one that size. Why would it be too big if it came with the car for just this purpose? Am I doing something wrong? It just won't fit inside the opening.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, man, I hate that for you. Water and SLK interiors don't mix well. My mom spilled water on her console in her Benz a few years back and it cost her thousands to get repaired. I hope that's not the case for you.
Thanks. I hope not, either. If it was normal Arizona weather, the sun would come out tomorrow and dry the whole thing out in a minute. LOL.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Thank you. I am trying to raise the roof manually, but the hex wrench is just a fraction too big and I don't have another one that size. Why would it be too big if it came with the car for just this purpose? Am I doing something wrong? It just won't fit inside the opening.
Are you undoing the correct screw? The one you need is of the bronze color.
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-class-diy/28546-some-tips-tricks-convertible-top-cylinder-rebuilds.html#post358685

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Success with manual top closure

Yay! My neighbor came over to help and we managed to get the top back up. Now I am going to see if it will start.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. It won't start, but all the dash lights come on, etc. It makes a low rumbly noise when I turn the key the first time, but no ignition. When I turn it a second time, it doesn't make that noise. I imagine that is the starter?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do I get the codes? Have it towed to shop?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,669 Posts
Get a charger on the battery, sounds as if it may be flat.

Hmm, idea for a gadget. Rain sensor on the aft deck, if it senses rain trigger the smart top after a few minutes.

Anyone know how to hook into the automatic rain sensors for the wipers on a r171 ??? Car parked + keys out + rain = roof up! Maybe mods4cars could update the smarttop software!

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
How do I get the codes? Have it towed to shop?
Thanks!
If you have an OBD2 reader, you may well be able to get the codes at home.
But if your car is not showing any warning lights, it might not have got as far as generating any codes.

Rumbly noise? Surely you know the sound of the starter motor? Might well be a fan (air-con, electronic, or main cooling).

Now you have the roof up (but not the small windows) you will still need to keep it under cover; as you say, after a short while, it might dry out, but actually, under the carpets, there is polystyrene insulation (acoustic and thermal) so the wiring will not dry out without lifting the carpets on each side. (I had similar when the front scuttle drains were blocked, and came in through the fresh air vent. I had to lift the carpets and mop up the water around the electrics, as well as mopping all the water I could from the carpet.)

Don't try the starter any more until you've got it much drier; electrics hates wet, and suffers if powered when wet, which is why you can save a phone by removing the battery immediately, and dry it out before putting power back into it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, All

Thank you to everyone who contributed. The sun is out! I took out the floor mats per your suggestion and am hoping that things will dry out before it starts raining again. Meanwhile, I have made plans to take the Light Rail to work tomorrow! LOL. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you have comprehensive insurance, call you claims department. Should be covered under weather related cause unless you have a specific clause listed as not covered. Same as if you went through a car wash and left the windows down...covered by comprehensive insurance.

Since mold may be an issue down the line, it is worth it to make the call and let a bodyshop dry it out for you. The towing should be covered as well.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,459 Posts
If you need a good Shop if the Car will not start bring it to German Auto 5244 North 7th Street 602 274 3747 ask for Erik tell him Daniel Lang send you he will take good Care off you. I have been dealing with Erik for 18 Years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you have comprehensive insurance, call you claims department. Should be covered under weather related cause unless you have a specific clause listed as not covered. Same as if you went through a car wash and left the windows down...covered by comprehensive insurance.

Since mold may be an issue down the line, it is worth it to make the call and let a bodyshop dry it out for you. The towing should be covered as well.
Thank you so much. Hadn't thought of that! I do have Comprehensive. I will check it out. You're the best!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you need a good Shop if the Car will not start bring it to German Auto 5244 North 7th Street 602 274 3747 ask for Erik tell him Daniel Lang send you he will take good Care off you. I have been dealing with Erik for 18 Years.
I do have a good shop on 7th Avenue and Camelback, but if you think they will take good care of me... Y)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.