Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I set up my cheap spotting scope/camera tripod between the passenger seat and glove box, and used the forward motion of the passenger seat to hold the tripod in place. The tripod still shakes/vibrates over bumps and my house keys hanging off the key ring holding my car key fob jingle like crazy on bumps. And this is shot at night (tonight April 13) so the beauty of the backdrop is lost. But here is Stunt Road, which we drove on the April 10 Socal SLK meet and drive...

:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

link to map of route taken:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=34.095299,-118.649018&daddr=Stunt+Rd+&+Schueren+Rd,+Topanga,+Los+Angeles,+California+90290&geocode=;FWMJCAId65vt-CndOrkTI6DCgDFfvW6rcHrK6g&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=16&sll=34.095565,-118.655391&sspn=0.007339,0.02105&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of camera did you use?
I used a Panasonic sdr-s26 , a not very expensive camcorder. I think they are around $200 now. I'll take a pic of my set up with tripod later today (in the light!). The tripod stalk wouldn't get tight enough to stop vibration. It is not an expensive tripod, I am sure there are more sturdy/stable tripods available

In the future, I will try mounting on the cupholder (ala Tslick) but use some clean, dry, never used sponges as the base to soak up vibrations and then cable tie the camera to the open cupholder/sponges.

All future vids will have the SLK key fob in the ignition with no key ring or other keys attached. I was really surprised how promenant the key jingle sound came through in the vid.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet.. that looks like a blast..

cept you ran that stop sign.. tisk tisk..
Stunt Road is very fun to drive when it is empty!

Technically I was turning left into a parking area on the left just short of the stop signed intersection. But if a cop...or any traffic was around, I would make a complete stop and then pull left into the parking area, just to be sure. At 10 pm on a weeknight nobody is around, at 2 or 3 pm on a sunny Saturday or Sunday it is a pretty busy spot because of 3 great roads meeting there with "top of the world" views from the parking area!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Way cool video. Thanks. Been there, done that road a few times. I bet you wish the 32 came with a manual trans. There's just no "spirit" with an automatic on a canyon road. :soap:

Now, we gotta start working on some decent sound out of these cars. At least yours sounds like a little power down there. Mine sounds more like a pathetic wounded animal on it's last breath! :fart:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Way cool video. Thanks. Been there, done that road a few times. I bet you wish the 32 came with a manual trans. There's just no "spirit" with an automatic on a canyon road. :soap:

Now, we gotta start working on some decent sound out of these cars. At least yours sounds like a little power down there. Mine sounds more like a pathetic wounded animal on it's last breath! :fart:
I want to remake the vid with the top down, in daylight with no jangling keys! I think the engine sound will be better with the top down. Bring your Z06 over to Stunt road and I will do my best to chase you up to the top while filming. (Maybe if you dont use too much of horsepowers 350 through 525, I will keep you in sight LOL)

And yeah the auto sucks a little of the fun out of hard driving, about all I do is downshift it back to 2nd when braking for a corner.

A resonator delete is probably in my future. I have heard it makes the SLK32's sound meaner. And I wont miss the 20-25 lbs it removes in weight.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Personally, I'd rather not have the music. If I want background music, I can listen to music of my choice. Whereas if you have music on the video, then I have to get up and turn my music off.

AS for sound, if it is a stereo camera, then you could have one mic (left channel) near the exhaust and one in the engine bay (right channel) Then mix them back at home to get a nice balance between the two?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This being my first in car vid ever, I was very surprised at how loud the in car sounds (jangling keys and music) were compared to the outside sounds (engine noise). In real life, the music was pretty subdued, I didnt even notice the keys, and the engine sounds much louder. Perhaps my focus on driving biases my ears!

In any case, I plan a sequel! The sequel will be top down, daytime, no key ring on the MB fob (so no extra keys to jingle), no music. I will do my best not to sign to myself as I am tone deaf and can't hold a note!

Attaching a photo of my set up. It looks ugly as the rags are in place to keep the tripod from rubbing the dash or the seats. Hard corning puts somewhat surprise pressure to move the tripod relative to the fixed interior pieces. I can rotate the camera 360 degrees with the tripod mount, so the sequel may have some rear facing footage too.

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Video of Stunt Road in daylight.

April 15th, what a great afternoon for a drive!

I went back to Stunt Road, put the top down, turned off the stereo, made sure only the MB key fob was present, and drove up the mountain (Saddle Peak Mountain, FYI).

The views are better in day light for sure. There are a few sounds I can't figure out. And inspite of TOTALLY obeying all speed limits, I had a little problem with smooth braking coming up to the stop sign at the end of the drive. The braking zone has a patched heave from ground movement/mountain geology. The heave came to be in some time after 2001 and sometime prior to 2004. Seems worse in 2010 than I recalled in 2004, when I last lived in the area.

And wow, you can't hide on video...check out my masterful parking job at the end:

Edit: here is the vimeo version of the same vid. Much higher resolution. I can increase the size by 50% without it looking grainey to me:

http://vimeo.com/11253091

Here is a link to a google map of the route:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=34.095299,-118.649018&daddr=Stunt+Rd+&+Schueren+Rd,+Topanga,+Los+Angeles,+California+90290&geocode=;FWMJCAId65vt-CndOrkTI6DCgDFfvW6rcHrK6g&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=16&sll=34.095565,-118.655391&sspn=0.007339,0.02105&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Short vid, shot out the back of the car, just practicing set up for meet and drives when I want to video who is following! Head rest is very prominent, and I couldnt center the tripod any further, as one of the legs was already up against the transmission hump at the passenger footwell. Seems less shakey, but I think the pavement was better driving down Saddle Peak Mountain towards the ocean on Scheuren Road.

EDIT link to map of route taken:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Schueren+Rd&daddr=Rambla+Pacifico+St&geocode=FS7_BwIdypDt-A;FS_WBwIdJYDt-A&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=34.07369,-118.64816&sspn=0.014681,0.0421&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15

EDIT: 3D image of drive from Google earth:

Attachments

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Thanks for the video :tu:

Do remember to clean the front windshield/windscreen :D. I understand that it's just a test video. I only saw one sign that stated 40mph as the speed limit. Would a foam cover over the microphone help with the wind noise?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts