Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I cannot get my roof to open. After reading the threads for related issues, I changed out a 4+ year old battery for a comparable new one and left it disconnected for 30 minutes.

I pull the roof open button back and the windows go down and the trunk opens up to accept the roof. But in the initial stages I hear a clunk from the top of the windshield frame like the locks will not disengage. It sounds like the hydraulic pump is working. After it doesn't go up, I reverse the switch, the roof re-engages the windshield frame, the trunk closes and it takes some time and switch engagement to close the back wing windows.

Any ideas? Thanks!

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
41,472 Posts
Sounds like you have the likely culprit.
The latch benefits from at least an annual treatment of lithium grease.

Some have got it to work by giving the roof a thump beneath the latch.

Another possible may be a stretched cable (any previous signs of being sluggish to release?), or misaligned.

Our roof diys

IF the sequence for opening/closing meets any resistance, or failure for a sensor (there are several) to confirm all is ok it automatically stops to prevent any damage being caused.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,755 Posts
You mean "pull it back"? The clunk is probably normal. Search for "S119 switch" - this is the switch that indicates the boot lid is fully raised. They are known to dislodge and fail to close.

A good scanner will cut to the chase quickly.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I think that it finally fixed itself with the following things I did. I used my spare smart key since it is likely in better shape than the primary one. My mechanic read somewhere that it could have been contributing to the wonky operation. The other thing that I noticed is that when my battery voltage is below 14v, the windows and general response from the roof was a bit spastic. So when I revved the engine and got 14v at least, the electronics responded better and the whole operation of opening and closing the roof was smooth.

I was able to monitor my voltage through the bluetooth transmitter/phone charger that I use. It has a nice function to indicate the battery voltage, very handy.

My mechanic says that (as probably many of you know) the German cars do like a higher voltage than others. Also, he was thinking that I must have had a sticky microswitch that was reacting to cold weather. It's been a cool spring here in Utah this year.

·
Founding Member 2006
112,741 Posts
Great!
will mark this thread as resolved
if it reoccurs, return to this thread and not start another one

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One other note, I worked the window switches to make sure that they were synchronized properly. That seemed to help the back windows and their operation.

·
Founding Member 2006
112,741 Posts
Thanks Master Sergeant! BTW this is a very helpful site!

Thanks! i don't see you getting your free gift yet????

·
Founding Member 2006
112,741 Posts
dc posted 4 u

1 - 11 of 11 Posts