Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

My rear discs & pads needed changing on my SLK 55 and so I purchased the various components. Did one side no problem, but the bottom bolt for the right rear caliper refuses to budge. We've tried many things, and have now destroyed the head of the bolt.

Does anyone know if we grind the disc off, would it then allow access to the other side of the bolt for us to remove it with an extractor tool? Alternatively, does anyone have any suggestions? Dealer wants £300+ just to have a look!

Cheers
Theo

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
4,937 Posts
Give what is left of the bolt head a heavy smack with a rod or round punch of sorts to shock the bolt !!

Obviously using a hammer . Lol

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Before heat (not after!) a good soak in WD40 to creep in and loosen up the rust in there?

Heat and cold is also a good way to shock the bolt but you still need to have grip on it.

Last resort: drilling the bolt over its complete length. May take a while but is sure to free up enough to get it going again.

HTH
Roland

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

We tried heat, and got nowhere. I don't think the discs have been changed as they've got the original torx heads on them and we just can't get a good grip.

Question: if we cut the disc in half and remove it while the caliper is still connected to the hub, will the other end of the bolt show enough to drill through?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Take the entire brake assembly off and carry it to a good machinist (machine shop). They can drill it out then remove the bolt with an easy-out. If you are careful, do it yourself.

Good luck.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
4,937 Posts
That would be last resort as entire hub assembly off !!!

And that would entail poss more seized bolts and other problems etc .

Simplest of things would be is to remove the top of the torx / head bolt .
accsess would be difficult etc
Then remove remaining bolt shaft when calliper is out of the way .
Then replace with new bolt / torx bolt .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts