Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wifey has never seen a shuttle launch, so she, I, and a number of my friends are all going to head down to Cocoa Beach for the launch of STS-132 on the 14th of May. Naturally, I'm not gonna pass up a road trip with the SLK, so we'll be driving down.

Wife and I are staying in Melbourne Beach, and will be down a couple of days early, and staying over the weekend.

Don't know if anyone is up for meeting in the general vicinity that weekend, but would love to put faces with names for some of the Florida members.

There is also a **very** slim chance that I will have 2 spare causeway tickets - if you'd like to be on the list, drop me a PM - $65ish is what I think we ended up paying for each one.

EDITED : Wife will not let me go sit somewhere just to get a shot of the vapor trail with the SLK in the foreground! :(

·
Registered
726 Posts
Wow, yes a slk photo with the shuttle in the background while taking off would be wicked! Hope you have a good time and it's not delayed. Saw a rocket launch last year and that was pretty cool, but the shuttle now that's got to be something else.

·
Long Time Member
3,671 Posts
Hi John

Her in doors and myself are doing south beach Bridlington this weekend so we will let a few air bombs off and make a space base in the sand.
But thats about as close as we will get (Gutted) i bet thats a awsome sight to see.
Hope you booth have a great time
and get some pics

Cheers pete n dev

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I lived there for many years. It's great when the shuttle lands and breaks the sound barrier and you hear the sonic boom. You may post in the Florida section as I've seen a number of members from Rockledge and Melbourne register. How long will you be there? The in-laws are in Orlando maybe we'd make a visit.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys - missed your responses to my original post!!!

Anyhow, AWESOME day - great weather, and a number of our friends from the UK and US made the trip out.

Mission Commanders request to lift off was "Mission Control - with your permission, I think we'll take her up and do a few laps around the planet!"

Attachments

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Very nice :tu: How loud was it?

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice :tu: How loud was it?
Hmm - hard to describe - it was loud, but it's more like a "ripping" noise as the sound rolls across the water than anything else. I shot some HD video, and will youtube it as soon as I get some decent connectivity. It was loud enough on the recording that it actually seems to "cut out" a bit.

My dad took me to a Saturn V launch when I was really small, and he swears that the Saturn's where insanely loud compared to the shuttle - unfortunately I can't remember it! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts