Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just fitted Smart Top to my SLC200 and when replacing 7 x 25mm pan head screws I've stripped a few heads so trying to get replacements.
Mercedes have to order From Germany and state not available at present and I have tried ebay and Google to no avail.

Are there any hardware suppliers in Forum that can help me out?

Thanks
Ray

Attachments

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,224 Posts

Attachments

·
13,224 Posts

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies, appreciated.

Leonardo they are EXPENSIVE only £868, I could fly to Germany and get the actual ones off Merc for that money and have change!! LOL :wink:

Yes I do not mind what sort of head but think you can see they are a screw rather than bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
hello, photos seem to be rather like a self tapper, the thread pitch is massive, can't you re-tap the holes to a bigger size, M8, or if you are not extra fussy an older imperial size
What is the material you are bolting into
As a very new member to Mercs, people will have to excuse my lack of knowledge of the Mercs make-up

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
349 Posts
Ebay search using, Mercedes torx trim screw, brings up many UK sources, seems they are common to many German brands. Personally I would take one of the bad ones to a German car dealer parts dept and get as close a match as they have.

·
13,224 Posts
I knew they were screws not bolts BUT screws strip easily (as you found out) where as sockets generally do not.

But as was subsequently said, you seem to need self tappers which sockets usually aren't.

Still looking.

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hello, photos seem to be rather like a self tapper, the thread pitch is massive, can't you re-tap the holes to a bigger size, M8, or if you are not extra fussy an older imperial size
What is the material you are bolting into
As a very new member to Mercs, people will have to excuse my lack of knowledge of the Mercs make-up
Yep thats what I thought and tried, ebay had some pozi drive self tappers in 8 so purchased those only to find that they were smaller, the outside diameter was only 4.2mm and the only ones bigger were 5.5mm, so no joy there.
But thanks for replying

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ebay search using, Mercedes torx trim screw, brings up many UK sources, seems they are common to many German brands. Personally I would take one of the bad ones to a German car dealer parts dept and get as close a match as they have.
Thanks Mike, tried that and only got the 5.5mm as biggest ones stocked.

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Mealor
Nearest I can find are these:

http://www.harrisonsilverdale.com/products/details/genuine-polyplast-30-thread-forming-screw-for51.html

Maybe give them a call or email with your photos. Not sure what quantities they sell in but may possibly let you have a few if you beg :wink:
Now this sounds interesting, have asked for a sample of their no 7 so will have to wait and see, I'm not desperate for them so the wait will be no problem, want to get them sorted for my own benefit.
Thanks for taking the trouble.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts