Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to track down a bit of a clunk from the right rear wheel area of my SLK320 (about 140,000kms) for awhile now. I haven't been driving the car much recently, so I tend to forget about these little nagging things.

The symptom is when I drive over a sharp bump (like a manhole cover or pothole) with the suspect wheel I'll hear a noticeable clunk. Now, here's the strange part...This usually lasts for the first couple minutes of driving, but once I've driven a few kms it almost completely disappears.

Having rebuilt the suspension in my other car (Firebird), I am relatively well versed in this stuff, but the SLK's independent rear suspension is a little foreign to me. I've been underneath the SLK and I've inspected everything I can and everything seems tight and not worn; control arm bushings don't seem to have any play, end links look good, etc.

The car drives tight and shows no other symptoms, but my best guess at this point is that the shock (original) is failing and clunking...once the oil inside warms up from driving the clunk dissipates.

Does that makes sense to anyone else?? Is there something I should check that would produce a similar symptom? I'd hate to throw money at shocks and not solve the issue.

Thnx

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW: Is there a DIY write up for doing the rear shocks on this car? I have the Crossfire manual, but it's not a very detailed guide.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a way to check them? They look good, no rust, definitely not sagging. Rear end is still very stiff.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only while hitting a bump, unrelated to turning.

It's more of a deep "thud", not necessarily metal sounding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.