Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 slk320. The roof goes up and down fine, but all of a sudden, I couldn't close the trunk. A male friend noticed that the two things that should connect, one on the trunk lid and one on the lip of the trunk on the car, weren't aligned. How could this happen? Also, he got the trunk closed by slamming it down and pushing toward an alignment and it did close. He tried to teach me the trick, but I didn't have the strength (I'm a 79-year old woman). So now I just never go into the trunk, which makes grocery shopping difficult. Anybody had this problem with closing the trunk? Thanks. Carolyn Banks, Bastrop, TX.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,852 Posts
Hi Carolyn!

are we related? :D

you are going to need someone to adjust it.

if you can show us a picture of the 2 'parts' not lined up, maybe we can assist

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,044 Posts
I have a 2001 slk320. The roof goes up and down fine, but all of a sudden, I couldn't close the trunk. A male friend noticed that the two things that should connect, one on the trunk lid and one on the lip of the trunk on the car, weren't aligned. How could this happen? Also, he got the trunk closed by slamming it down and pushing toward an alignment and it did close. He tried to teach me the trick, but I didn't have the strength (I'm a 79-year old woman). So now I just never go into the trunk, which makes grocery shopping difficult. Anybody had this problem with closing the trunk? Thanks. Carolyn Banks, Bastrop, TX.
Anything in this pic?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In order to take a picture, I would have to open the trunk, which means I couldn't close it until my friend Jeff was here to do that. Next time he's here (he comes fairly often), I will try taking a picture. By the way, are there instructions somewhere about the various places a person can post? I find this message system really daunting! Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,403 Posts
You need 15 posts in order to private message (PM) someone. Go welcome 13 more new members (the same way we welcomed you) to get to 15 :tu:

·
94,852 Posts
In order to take a picture, I would have to open the trunk, which means I couldn't close it until my friend Jeff was here to do that. Next time he's here (he comes fairly often), I will try taking a picture. By the way, are there instructions somewhere about the various places a person can post? I find this message system really daunting! Thanks for your help.
Well I am Jeff and the commute is killing me :D

if you are on a pc and not on a phone, you need to switch to the blue view for easier viewing and posting

https://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/244418-try-blue-view-you-might-keep.html

you have a r170 1996-2004

so the majority of your posts/questions will be in this section

the r170 general discussion section

if you post in the wrong place, we will move it for you n let you know

Jeff :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The part that won't align is not numbered in this diagram. It is the little clip between 20 and 70 on the bottom and the corresponding part (not shown) on the top. Weird, huh?

·
94,852 Posts

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,593 Posts
@jbanks15
@cbanks

Carolyn has a 2001 FaceLift SLK so that rod as shown above isn't present on hers. The FL has a skinny rod that goes straight up from catch to latch and the lock in turn prevents the rod mechanism from working but as she can open the bootlid I don't think that that's the issue.

More than likely to be a striker plate issue, not had this myself but a search pulls up quite a few threads relating to this:

HERE

and more specifically HERE

·
94,852 Posts
That is why I pay you the big duckies...to correct my mistakes :D

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,593 Posts
That is why I pay you the big duckies...to correct my mistakes :D
Stripped mine to a certain extent so that I could respray the bootlid less than a month ago, how it goes together is still reasonably fresh in the memory >:D

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,403 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
trunk latch

I appreciate the response that my question garnered. I took my car to the Mercedes dealer in Austin and they fiddled around with the trunk open and screwed and unscrewed stuff on the underside of the trunk lid. This was the very thin hingelike stuff you see with the trunk open. Eventually they were able to get it right. It took about twenty minutes and now it works all the time. Thanks to all of you who responded. Carolyn:laugh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts