Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorted :) Strange one this? ABS ASR Lights on.

As above, Quick run down........

I have made a point of scanning the car after every run as I have been doing tuning work just to be sure everything is OK. No faults shown.

Yesterday I replaced the car battery as this has been making my battery conditioner work overtime, checked it on another tester and it said "battery bad" and it is 7 years old:|

Car has been idle in my garage for 3 weeks, so as usual thought I had better give it a run round the block.

Started car and the ASR and ABS lights are staying on, Roof will not work, just flashes.

Scanned the car and the faults as shown in the below photos came up, my scanner will not clear them.

So do I go ahead and replace the rear right speed/ABS sensor, I tried to remove it to check but it will not shift without damaging it, it is strange that it has "gone bad" just sat in my garage:surprise:

20180823_130219_HDR.jpg

20180823_131012_HDR.jpg

I have just been on a 20 mile run town and highway hoping that it would reset itself, tried the ABS on the slip road, wheels locked, so not working. But the car runs great, No limp mode etc.

The Engine management light did reset.

Am I missing anything, Any thoughts/ideas

Apologies for the photos being on their side, not sure how to rotate them:smile:

Cheers
Graham.

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,855 Posts
so car has sat in garage without charger/trickle for those 3 weeks?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so car has sat in garage without charger/trickle for those 3 weeks?
Yes, But it has not been an issue in the past, New battery fitted now:grin:

If I know for sure that it is going to sit doing nothing for an extended period then I would normally remove the battery earth lead, but not this time:frown:

·
94,855 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
with all those computers working you best put a battery tender/trickle on it

see this

https://www.slkworld.com/off-topic/338105-ctek-mus-4-3-12-volt-fully-automatic-8-step-battery-charger.html
Yes, thanks for the link, that is what I have, I just did not use it this time, circumstances arose :|

I guess what I am asking is, If I replace the rear right ABS sensor will the Fault code reset and warning lights go out?

Also the codes relating to the Sensor being implausible are Stored codes only not current? This was scanned after my 20 mile run.

The 'rough road detection' fault, is Stored and Current, Is that the same 'problem' the ABS sensor.

Or could the 'dodgy' battery have caused the problems?

Thanks for all your help:grin:

·
94,855 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just for the hell of it, and it is cheap:grin: I have a new brake light switch on order, well you never know:wink:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Your car may be haunted like ours. We get warning messages with random codes and after a few days they go away never to be seen again. I don't even reset or clear.

Baja-D

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Remove negative terminal of battery. Wait 1/2 hour, reattach. "Implausibles" are common if the positive terminal was removed first.
Tried that just now, still the same, but thanks anyway, always worth a try:tu:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi I could be off the mark here but could it be as simple as resetting the steering full lock left and then right to reset the system, it worked for mine a few weeks back and the warning light went out, I was expecting to have to replace a wheel sensor, just one note to mention though when I connect the code reader again the warning light comes back on and I have to disconnect the reader and perform the left right action then it’s fine

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi I could be off the mark here but could it be as simple as resetting the steering full lock left and then right to reset the system, it worked for mine a few weeks back and the warning light went out, I was expecting to have to replace a wheel sensor, just one note to mention though when I connect the code reader again the warning light comes back on and I have to disconnect the reader and perform the left right action then it’s fine
Hi, I have just tried that, still the same, worth a try though, Thanks.

I will give it another run tomorrow and see what that throws up, if anything, pretty sure I am going to have to replace the sensor, I will change the brake light switch also (if it turns up) and hope that sorts it out.

:confused::confused::tu:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

:grin:

New sensor fitted this morning, warning lights went out within 10 seconds of setting off on a test run, I had to go into each module when I got back to clear the codes, Happy days :tu:

So yes the dash warning lights reset themselves :tu:

20180825_130928_HDR.jpg

Sensor £45.00 from Euro car parts.

Thanks to all for your input :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts