Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered 2004 SLK200K
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have the following problem which is quite annoying for me and quite hard to be described. I have an SLK r171 6-manual 163hp, BTW. When I m in the 3rd gear at let's say 3000-3200 RPM and pressing the acceleration pedal I have a strange buzzzzz noise which came from my shifter stick. The problem is that if I press very slightly with my finger on shifter stick the buzz disappear, same if I try to push it forward for 1 cm, or in any other direction and similar if I try to rise the stick.
I've noticed that this sound is also present if I'm in 3rd gear at 10-15 km/h, more then that after I've changed my gearbox oil(235.10 MB) the sound seems to be a little bit harder.

Thank you :)

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,421 Posts
Have you checked the condition of your motor and transmission mounts?

·
Registered 2004 SLK200K
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the condition of your motor and transmission mounts?
No, I didn't, but is strange that the sound is harder in 3rd gear and very quite in 2rd or 4rd gear and absolutly silent in 1,5,6 gear.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
274 Posts
Did this just start , if so check or Change out gear box fluid/oil if due, and check the transmission and gear mounts for looseness.

·
Registered 2004 SLK200K
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No...is quite an old issue...the oil has been changed yesterday, i guess an options are the mounts

·
Registered 2007 SLK55 AMG
76 Posts
Just did my motor and tranny mounts, with a lift it took about 2 hours And was pretty straight forward. However if you are looking for quick and cheap the tranny mounts is like $30 and held on with 4 or 5 bolts that are eaaaly accessable with just a jack and a 16mm and 13mm socket. Hf hour job start to finish.

Motor mounts are a bit harder but not really complicated, just frustrating. Passenger side is easy, driver's side needs things moved. I recommend moving the steering rack. I needed more space(extra bracing on the 55) so I also moved the front torsion bar to get it out.

Fcp euro has the whole kit for a little over $100

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,201 Posts
Guys, op has a 4 cylinder engine with a manual gearbox.
It could be a link from the sifter to the gearbox.

Sper sa o rezolvi, bafta

·
Registered 2004 SLK200K
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just did my motor and tranny mounts, with a lift it took about 2 hours And was pretty straight forward. However if you are looking for quick and cheap the tranny mounts is like $30 and held on with 4 or 5 bolts that are eaaaly accessable with just a jack and a 16mm and 13mm socket. Hf hour job start to finish.

Motor mounts are a bit harder but not really complicated, just frustrating. Passenger side is easy, driver's side needs things moved. I recommend moving the steering rack. I needed more space(extra bracing on the 55) so I also moved the front torsion bar to get it out.

Fcp euro has the whole kit for a little over $100

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Guentha, how many mounts do we have for transmissions? Same question for the engine.

·
* Registered 2006 SLK350
535 Posts
The syncros in those gears are wearing

·
Registered 2004 SLK200K
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now, I know how to make that sound disappear but I'll have in mind a full scan of these parts.

·
Registered 2004 SLK200K
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NEWS! I was at my indy yesterday he told me that is 99% the mount of the gearbox.
OE MERCEDES-BENZ: A2202401818, A2122400418, 2122400418, 2202401818, is quite cheap and is a LEMFORDER.

Thank you soooo much and have a nice day guys :)

P.S.: I'll change that part next week, if the sound is still there I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered 2004 SLK200K
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi,

I've changed the part but the sound is still there. The interesting part is that the sound is coming from the swift stick literally, but I've managed to make it disappear with a simple move of the stick in a specific direction. Sometimes the "buzzzz" is coming back, sometimes no. The indy said is nothing special so...I can live with it :)

Thank you !

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
53 Posts
The adaptor on the shift knob where it screws onto the lever can crack, leaving part of the adaptor free from the main portion but held in place by the keyways in the knob. On mine I unscrewed it from the shift stick and used epoxy glue to rejoin it, job done.
Mine used to do it in 5th gear, I put up with it for years but the car is so quiet now I could kick myself.

·
Registered 2004 SLK200K
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The adaptor on the shift knob where it screws onto the lever can crack, leaving part of the adaptor free from the main portion but held in place by the keyways in the knob. On mine I unscrewed it from the shift stick and used epoxy glue to rejoin it, job done.
Mine used to do it in 5th gear, I put up with it for years but the car is so quiet now I could kick myself.
Hmm, that's interesting, I'll come back with some pictures to be sure I'm doing the right check. The interesting part is that if is HOT outside the sound disappears from the beginning, or if I'm moving the knob in a random direction the buzz disappears again for a couple of minutes.

·
Registered 2004 SLK200K
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Remove the gearknob, if the noise stops, it's the culprit.
I have no idea how to remove the top of the knob... I've attached a video with my try...

The interesting part is that, 2 days ago here was quite hot(27-30 degree ) and the buzz didn't come out. Today we had around 15-16 degree and the sound is quite annoying...how is this possible...

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
102,347 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts