Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 SLK230 with 215,000 miles. Ran fine last time I drove, a week or two ago because of the ice.
Went to start it, you know how the car cranks automatically when you twist the key to start? Now, it very consistently cranks for about 2 pistons - about two seconds, and then stops cranking. Every time.
It sometimes starts like on one cylinder, bangs a couple times or backfires quietly once.

Plenty of gas. 45 degree air temp, not too cold. Gave it some starter spray, it tried to run on that for a second.

My best guess so far is that the computer is detecting no fuel pressure and turning off the cranking. I hear all sorts of humming that I assume is the fuel pump.

Put it on a battery charger, but that wasn't the problem. No Check Engine light.

Any ideas before I have to tow it to the dealer? Thanks for your help!

David

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,206 Posts
How old is the battery? just because it is on a charger does not mean bad cells or going dead battery

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
battery is fine - also K40 replaced

Battery came right back up to not drawing from the charger after a few minutes.
The dealer replaced the K40 a few years ago - gee, I guess it was 4 years ago - when I had the no-cranking-at-all, then later it starts and runs fine problem. It was about 20K miles ago.

·
97,206 Posts
autozone/pepboys/advance all offer free battery testing. you could check the battery cables also. others will chime in shortly. k40/pse pump could be wet/damp

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved!

I had bought a new key fob from ebay and moved my key and electronics into it.
I just dug out the other key fob and it started right up. I must have screwed something up in the transfer.

Thanks team!

·
97,206 Posts
cool!!!!!!!

lol! we can't solve the mystery without all the clues!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.