Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered 2000 SLK200K
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 slk 200 kompressor 6 speed manual started making a strange noise recently. It only happens while the car is coasting about 15-20 kmph, 2nd gear selected and clutch fully depressed (usually just before you come to a full stop at the lights.) If you put the stick in neutral the noise is gone and back again in 2nd. It a kind of knock-knock noise depends on speed, comes from engine bay. Sometimes every audible sometimes not, but always there. Except the noise, shifting works fine as usual. I renewed the tranny oil aprrox. 1 year ago with the original. The car is at 60.000 miles.

Any experience or opinions?
Is it an easy fix?:confused:

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
It could well be a worn thrust/release bearing. Do you make a habit of riding the clutch/coasting with it in gear - not a good habit to have.

The good news is, it can go for quite a while before it causes serious problems, usually indicated by the noise getting worse.

To fix it, you have to separate the transmission from the engine, I'm not sure on your engine whether it would be an engine or transmission out job, or there would be enough room to just disconnect the prop shaft and slide the gearbox back a bit. If you do have to remove the engine or transmission, then I would renew the clutch whilst you're in there - the parts are cheap, the main cost is the labour charges in stripping down/rebuilding.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.