Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1988 230 really cheap with a view to doing a rolling restoration. One thing I cannot put my finger on is a strange sound coming from the engine. It sounds like a buffeting almost like a non firing cylinder. The car drives OK up to about 110kph and then gets sluggish. Can't use a tester a I broke a pin (no 3) on the tester - waiting for new replacement. Anyone experienced something like this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm back. After doing some investigating, I have come to the conclusion that the various rotating parts on the front of the engine have probably been exposed to a dunking in water {Year end floods in the UK?}. With a stethoscope I have listened to each bearing and all have that dragging/skipping sound of a a failed bearing with water pump contributing the most. So a bit of work ahead. Only the s/c seems ok but has other problems. The s/c was not providing any boost so I started off looking at the solenoid as the clutch was not engaging. The casing was full of gunk and old oil. After cleaning this, the clutch engaged and does so at +- 2400 revs and rather brutally. There is no progressive engagement - but its working ! Checked the Blow Off Valve and this also engages but as I release it it backfires through the outlet. I still need to look at the MAF and Throtte body. I cannot see that there is any problem with the K40 as that's sparkling clean - looks new.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had once a strange noise from my 200SLK engine. Experts told me that I have to replace the air condition compressor. Luckily I took a close look at the engine and found out that the noise came from a small pulley belt damper in the front of the engine. Saved a lot of money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.