Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove out to Gloucestershire on Saturday, about 120 mile trip. The moment I hit the M25 I knew something was up as I had a vibration coming from the rear end.

Stopped at a services and inspected the wheel and it looked like a set of weights was missing. Made my appointment and then afterwards went in search of a wheel and tyre place.

Bloke looked at the wheel in question and said 'nope it's the other one'

Hairline crack in rim on the inside edge. Tyre inside wall bubbled and distorted, tyre trashed ( just lucky there was no blowout! ) Had to drive the entire distance back on the space saver at under 50 mph! The ONLY time my 55 AMG has managed over 35 mpg! :)

So! i have acquired a set of aftermarket alloys and tyres to run on in the meantime. I want to retain the original, genuine 18 spoke AMG rims but .....

I'm going to have the set refurbished completely ......

1 - Do i have the rim professionally repaired? ( 2.5 cm hairline crack ) I rarely exceed 100 mph ( well not a lot anyway )

2 - I'm seriously considering having the rims refinished in an Anthracite colour, think it looks good against the blue and hides some brake dust. It's only paint so could be redone at a later date again.

Opinions of the forum please!

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,018 Posts
Ouch ...

If you fancy black rims then @Spudmuffun is selling his (my ones that he refurbed).. They are the 18 spoke AMG V's

Might be worth a look...

·
Registered
197 Posts

·
fastdawg
4,426 Posts
I don't know if I'd go the repair route on the cracked rim, my mind would be on it too much. Replacing it and painting the rims sounds good though!

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had 4 sets of alloys refurbished by Lepsons in Gillingham, UK over the past 10 or 11 years. Sensibly priced and very knowledgable. They have been around longer than most.

Wheel Welding | Lepsons

1 - 6 of 6 Posts