Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. When I put my top down I usually want to have the windows down as well. If you hold the top operation button through until completion the windows roll back up automatically. I'm afraid constantly having the windows go down to start the operation, then back up and then manually putting them back down constantly will make my window mechanism go bad quicker.

So, my question is, is it OK to release the button immediately prior to the windows going back up? Can this cause any issue? It would keep me from having the windows go up just to immediately put them back down, but I don't want to mess up anything with my top mechanics.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,361 Posts
buy the smarttop and that solves that issue and gives you many new benefits:

Remote control of convertible top - open and close your convertible top using the original factory remote control key fob.
Passive mode - allow factory test equipment to be utilized without causing irregularities in their read-outs.
Extra chirp signal function - when operating the power locks, the horn sounds once briefly. (this can be turned off)
Open/Close top while driving - open and close the top while driving up to 38 mph.
Individually programmable - configure features/functions of the smartTOP module to meet your personal preferences.
One Touch Top - 'one touch' convertible top operation allows you to open and close automatically.
Extra top convenience mode - turning the ignition on or off does not interrupt convertible top operations.

http://www.slkstore.com/product.php?productid=16191&cat=268&page=1

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have that exact dilemma............ I just release the top button as soon as the windows start to go up and just nudge them back down the inch or two they moved........... can t see it can do any harm not letting the roof programme complete its cycle

·
97,361 Posts
Function 2 - One-Touch top operation ( 0=OFF / *1=ON WU / 2=ON WD / 3=EXT WU / 4=EXT WD )
This function enables one-touch console switch operation, for which the window position after top open as well as an optional extended convenience mode can be programmed.
Setting 1 is standard one-touch mode with windows up (WU) after top open. Setting 2 is standard one-touch mode with windows down (WD) after top open. Settings 3 and 4 (extended) are the same as 1 and 2, but additionally it is possible to turn off the ignition and pull the key while the top still continues.
Settings 3 and 4 require extra responsibility and caution to avoid injury by moving top parts to passengers not expecting the top to continue running after the engine is turned off!

Top operation with the console switch:
Holding down the switch (>2 sec) in either direction will operate the top in manual mode for as long as the switch is held.
Tap open once to open the top and bring the windows into the selected position (WU=Windows Up, WD=Windows Down).
Tap open twice slowly to open the top and bring the windows into the opposite position this one time (Down on settings 1 and 3, Up on settings 2 and 4).
Tap open twice quickly to open the windows
Tap close once to close top and windows.
Tap close twice slowly to close only the top and leave the windows open.
Tap close twice quickly to close the windows
Tap the console switch in any direction to interrupt an ongoing operation at any time - even if the top was started by remote!

Comfort close for all windows:
Tap the top close switch when the top is already closed to roll all windows up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
buy the smarttop and that solves that issue and gives you many new benefits:

Remote control of convertible top - open and close your convertible top using the original factory remote control key fob.
Passive mode - allow factory test equipment to be utilized without causing irregularities in their read-outs.
Extra chirp signal function - when operating the power locks, the horn sounds once briefly. (this can be turned off)
Open/Close top while driving - open and close the top while driving up to 38 mph.
Individually programmable - configure features/functions of the smartTOP module to meet your personal preferences.
One Touch Top - 'one touch' convertible top operation allows you to open and close automatically.
Extra top convenience mode - turning the ignition on or off does not interrupt convertible top operations.

http://www.slkstore.com/product.php?productid=16191&cat=268&page=1
I think the OP;s car will need to be the R170 face lift for the smartop to work with all those functions ? the early cars (upto 2001) are;nt compatible.
But I think I'm right in saying the "one touch" modules work with them , not that that will be a solution to the window issue

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, thanks for all the help guys. Sounds like stopping before the windows go up should not be an issue. I didn't realize that the light went off when everything but the window operation was done, so that is helpful Carolina.

With regards to the SmartTop, it sounds like a great add-on, but I'm not looking to put too much into the new (to me) car at least until I take care of the necessary mechanical items first. Those are clearly a higher priority.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The weather conditions here are such that I put my top down every morning when I get in the car to go to the office. I hold the button back while I'm putting on my seat belt and maybe changing the radio station. Once the front windows start up, I release the button and press both window buttons quickly to activate the express down and I'm off.

No issues after a few months of this.
Doc

·
Registered 2005 slk350
251 Posts
Tap in the same direction as if putting the top down twice will lower all windows.
I discovered this little secret the other day too!! works like a dream, and it puts down ALL of the windows which is really cool if it is maybe a bit too hot for the top off but you still want the open effect!! Two taps & Hold in the "Close top" Direction will close all of the windows simultaneously as well!! I love this feature....>:D

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,697 Posts
I discovered this little secret the other day too!! works like a dream, and it puts down ALL of the windows which is really cool if it is maybe a bit too hot for the top off but you still want the open effect!! Two taps & Hold in the "Close top" Direction will close all of the windows simultaneously as well!! I love this feature....>:D
Additionally, if you then use your door switches, you can raise the main windows and keep the rear quarters lowered - really nice for additional ventilation in summer. I think this works without Smarttop, but it's been a while...

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
166 Posts
Windows tricks

Tap in the same direction as if putting the top down twice will lower all windows.
I did not know this. Thanks you guys for sharing these little tricks. I been reading my manual in the morning in the library and learned only recently that I could open and close the top and all windows with the key fob remote also. Nice. This the the great part about these forums.

Irish

·
97,361 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.