Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I have read on our forum about this recall affecting you lucky guys in the States but does anyone know if this recall related to UK models as well?

Just trying to get a cheap fix.

Any info or previous experience on this would be very much appreciated,

Steve

·
Registered
150 Posts
What size bulbs do you have in the tail lights. I don't have any problem with my tail lights but when I wanted to upgrade to LED, my turn signal lights were different from what I have seen in the states. Every where I see a 1157 (pins are 180 degrees across from each other) Amber bulb in all the forums but mine is a JY21W ( pins are like at 150 degrees - like 4:00) amber bulb. Any help out there? (This is one example my tail lights are a whole different thing). The only thing I did was swap out the reverse lights for 1156 CANBUS LED cool white bulbs. They are bright (yes, I do get the bulb out light for only when the reverse bulbs are lit up).

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its only the stop/brake light that is becoming a bit of niggling issue.

Bulbs are all fine and intact, its just that evey so often it will trigger a dash warning light saying a bulb is out, when I brake.

When I check the brake lights, its usually the nearside one that doesn't come on. After a bit of wiggling it around all is fine for a few hours and then the same happens again. One of the symptoms associated with the recall I think.

There is obviously something up with the contact points. Just received a new bulb holder today so will try this.

But it would be good to know about UK experiences as surely MB didnt make different rear light units for their SLK's in the States or did they?

·
Registered 2012 SLK200
519 Posts
Hi Steve,
Yes, there was a recall in the USA but not for European cars. (Second class citizens?)
I think you will find that there has been arcing at the junction between the stop lights and the printed circuit, leading to an intermittent connection that will eventually fail completely. I had exactly the same problem, and the answer was simple:
1. Remove the rear light assembly (3 nuts hold it on - fairly easy to access via the small panel in the wing/ by removing the first aid kit). Remember to unplug the multi-plug!
2. remove the stop light holder and you should see the extent of the problem.
3. For slight corrosion/arcing rubbing with an eraser or using fine sandpaper could be sufficient
4. In my case there was complete breakdown of the printed circuit, so I bridged the gap with solder and buffed it down. Smear the new joint with electrostatic grease - important!
5. Check the other bulbs (unlikely to be affected, but if so, repeat the process)
6. Reassemble the rear light clusters.
7. Done!

I put this off as long as I could, because I foresaw major difficulties in doing the repair. In the event it took less that 30 minutes to do both sides. Best of luck!

·
Registered
267 Posts
This is not just an MB issue, virtually every car i have owned go this way after time.
Cheap/bad design using parts that oxidise will always happen.

Emery paper is all you can do, as above. Get used to it :wink:

·
Registered 2012 SLK200
519 Posts
The problem with the SLK isn't usually oxidation - it's arcing due to a badly designed assembly - hence the recall by MB for the US cars. The arcing burns through the printed circuit and the resultant hole needs to be bridged.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Steve,
Yes, there was a recall in the USA but not for European cars. (Second class citizens?)
I think you will find that there has been arcing at the junction between the stop lights and the printed circuit, leading to an intermittent connection that will eventually fail completely. I had exactly the same problem, and the answer was simple:
1. Remove the rear light assembly (3 nuts hold it on - fairly easy to access via the small panel in the wing/ by removing the first aid kit). Remember to unplug the multi-plug!
2. remove the stop light holder and you should see the extent of the problem.
3. For slight corrosion/arcing rubbing with an eraser or using fine sandpaper could be sufficient
4. In my case there was complete breakdown of the printed circuit, so I bridged the gap with solder and buffed it down. Smear the new joint with electrostatic grease - important!
5. Check the other bulbs (unlikely to be affected, but if so, repeat the process)
6. Reassemble the rear light clusters.
7. Done!

I put this off as long as I could, because I foresaw major difficulties in doing the repair. In the event it took less that 30 minutes to do both sides. Best of luck!
This has been eluding me also. It seems to trigger the dash light when I put the car into reverse. I've had them all out and the bulbs checked and replaced but problem persists. I'll take another pass and get some of that electrostatic grease!
Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.