Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, bought my SLK in the rain - will never do that again! Fortunately car is near immaculate as described except a few chunky stone chips I missed. Using the official touch up kit it and cocktail sticks instead of brush, it actually looks pretty good. Am rather pleased with myself. However if I clean it up for next layer using bit of Acetone, it all looks a bit manky again.
So my question is before I give it a go ... has anybody used the clear lacquer part of the kit and does it do the job sealing and staying relatively smooth?
Cheers .. John.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,315 Posts
No but check out my clearbra album in my profile!

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
The two treatments that I have read the most about on the Forum are Dr. Colorchip and Langka Blob Eliminator. John (UK-C200) has a thread on Dr. Colorchip. I have used the other one with mixed results. Dr. Colorchip seems to work well with a large number of chips, while the other is better suited for fewer application sites. Neither addresses the application of clearcoat directly, but Langka suggests that you mix the clearcoat with the paint before applying if you want to use one.

Best Wishes,

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I use the factory paint set, but don't use the brush in the paint cap. I use a hobby brush, moistened with lacquer thinner, to apply both paint and clearcoat. Works pretty well, and minimizes the blob problems. The touch-up paint sticks well on flat surfaces; but less so on the door edges. Though I rate my skills as a modeler highly after more than four decades, I'm not good enough with the airbrush to trust using that on Sunhilde's body. Too much risk of overspray. I've used the airbrush on wheels, and lived with the overspray, but the finish achieved is as smooth as it gets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.